Timber frame racking resistance

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys,

This is how my timber frame currently stands..

3 walls and joists started going up.

I'm just looking for some reassurance, as as it stands, it moves left to right with not much effort.

It's going to get noggins, then 18mm sheets, and that's going to stiffen it up, right?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
I take it this is going to be a garage ? How have you fixed the walls down and if i was u id put temp diagonal braces in during installation to hold it square as its build. Provided its fixed down correctly and to each other there shouldnt be much movement on the enclosed end but u will get some on the open end till its braced or finshed

Yes it's going to be a garage. 10 x 3 meters.

The soleplate is frame fixed down into the brick.

I have got diagonals on it, just not when that pic was taken.

Cheers

you dont need diagonals once you have timber sheet material at least 6mm attached firmly

Sponsored Links
As above, diagonals not necessary - your roof deck will hold it rigid once fixed down.

It will stiffen a lot when the front face is sheathed.

As above, diagonals not necessary - your roof deck will hold it rigid once fixed down.

As above and abover.

Any shear movement will be gone once these two are in place, especially once the roof ply is fixed.

It may still flex a little diagonally even when the front elevation is constructed but will be locked solid once the roofing ply is secure. In fact, make sure that you square the building up before applying all the screws to the roofing ply.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm glad you say the diagonals won't be needed, otherwise there garage won't be usable! They're just there until the roof is on.

I'm not too sure if the front is going to hold it much, as most of it will be an opening. Although the double top plate and header will all be locked together.

Once I get the 18mm on the roof hopefully it will stop any movement!

cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back