Under Eves Detal - What joins what how?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone run be thought a typical arrangement for the detail at the top of a cavity wall.

Looking at this image, would this be typical of a 40's council house in staffordshire...

cold_roof_eaves_ventilated.gif

Im getting damp on the corner where the ceiling meets the wall (PB in grey) and wonder if there could be some bridging with the outside wall.

image1uk.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I only moved in 6months ago, but have recently had the cavity walls filled (Blown EPS Balls) and loft re-insulated (2inch glass wool removed, 10inchs put in).

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Its probably condensation rather than damp in which case you need to increase ventilation.

Just an isolated spot or what? Damp plaster or black spots?

What's behind the plasterboard? insulation or just the underside of the felt/tiles?

Could be, its just quite focused along that edge.
- There is just a 4inch air gap above the sloping PB and then the felt.
- Whole house is dot-and-dab dry lined (non-orignal) on the walls.
- With the glass wool on the flat ceiling section, attic is well aired and dry.

Dam, with some runs, no sign of mold yet, nothing on the other simular used bed rooms. Or the bathroom.

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Raked ceilings were often under insulated back in the day. Read here.
The raked/vaulted portion of ine are totally un-insulated. As discussed, there is little room to get much in at all, even a rigid foam would have to go in in two pieces. Hence my thought about using a loose material and vent trays of some sort. Not had time to do anything yet however but as i find no other explanation for the water apparently running out from my plasterboard (doesn't look like any condensation ive ever seen, but also doesnt look like its coming from above) its my next plan of attack.

Daniel

Have you even looked in the loft for any leaks?
Yes I most certainly have, first thing I did.

This is what it looks like from below
img6830medium.jpg

These are photos of what it looks like from above.
http://imageshack.us/g/18/img6832gu.jpg/

As you can see, there are damp patchs, but also runs, both on the sloping sections and from the insulated flat section. No plumbing in the corner at all, and it looks dry round down from the attic to the fascias, unless im missing something. Some water staining, but all appears dry now. Roofing felt is shot, but tiles only a few years old, attic dry and ventilated.

Daniel

Ive now ripped out the sloping section of skeling plasterboard in one of the rooms. I have a week while its empty between lodgers so its seems the only sensable thing to do, have a look, put in rigid insulation board, replaster.

As far as I can see everything is very much as expected and as the drawing in the opening post, happy days.

Only question on my mind now is how far to take the insulation. I could stop it flush with the ceiling plasterboard at the top, or i could run it on for 6-8inchs into the attic space to hold the glass loft insulation off the felt as well? Ditto at the bottom I could stop it flush with the inside face of the wall, or run it on an amount? Making good and fixing in place with a bit of expanding foam as require.

My plan is to to do the above in 50mm, between the rafter, then to inslulate over that with a further 50mm ontop of the rafters, and plasterboard over that, then skim and make good the whole ceiling which will also cover over the artex!

And thoughts on how far to run the insluation on into the attic?

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back