Best outdoor long term wood protection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there anything out there that has been proven to be better than creosote for long term wood-preservation of things like fence posts and the bottom end of fencing that is (almost) permanently covered by vegetation and/or soil?
It's for new posts to go in so I can use anything I want in any way that's needed. I don't care if it's smelly, aggressive, pain in the you-know-what to work with or slow in drying/curing. If it takes 5 coats, then so be it. I just want something that will stop the wood from rotting and will make it last many years.
Tia,
Ben

Sponsored Links
You may get more responses by posting this in the IN THE GARDEN section.

FWIW, all wooden posts will eventually rot over time regardless of the coating.

The purists on here will advise concrete posts but I personally don't like them.

You can 'increase' the longevity of posts by

(a) Using proper treated posts from a decent (fencing) suppliers (not a shed)

(b) Ensuring you slope a wet mix at the base of the posts to allow water to drain off and not pool at the base of the post

(c) Ensuring that all parts have the ability for water run off wherever possible.

Regular treatment (potentially yearly) is essential once you have ensured all the above 'boxes' are ticked.

IMHO, there is not one product which will last forever as a treatment irrespective of how many coats you do at one go but I stand to be corrected.

Just my tuppence worth though.

The experts may disagree..............

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back