Best Primer/undercoat and gloss for flaking weatherboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I appreciate any advice on decorating flaking weatherboard.
I was going to rub down and use Zinsser then 2-3 coats of gloss for the weatherboard, but wanted to see what thoughts there were on a good quality primer/undercoat and gloss that will give 10 years service.
I've been told that water based rather than oil is the best for weatherboard.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Front of the house and the finish is dulux trade gloss, which was only painted 2 years ago.
I was thinking of using Zinsser as an undercoat and maybe Sikkens XD gloss.

If the paint is peeling after 2 years it makes no difference what you paint on afterwards - it'll still flake.

Sponsored Links
Because the most important thing about a coat of paint is whats underneath it

So even if I burn off everything and Zinsser it then 3 top coats it isn't getting any better.

What Joe means is that if its peeling after two years then the paint has failed due to the system used rather than weathering,

Normally if you take the paint back to a sound surface free of flaking and peeling you can go ahead and repaint.

One of the difficulties is because of different flex abilities water based and oil based don't mix that well on exteriors. If you strip it all off i'd go with something waterbased like superdec, barn paint or MSP. The XD is very good as is the onol undercoat but you must prep very well. Might be worth having a look at zinnser peelstop i'm not sure if it can be used outside but it would be a good sealer after prep and before painting IF it can be used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back