ceiling cornice cracks

I have cracks that appeared after 6 months, and neighbours tell me they have cracks that appear each year. I guess movement of joists, and the changing humidity with season causes walls and ceilings to move. I tried caulk, but did not like the result, so changed to Easi-fill. I am told that Easi-fill has some plasticisers in it allowing it some give. Whatever the truth, it is easy to apply, and it paints well. I also had three long cracks appear in a new ceiling, and some fine cracks in two re-skimmed walls, plus some large cracks near a new boiler flue.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps one day cracks in cornices, walls and ceilings will come back into fashion and we won't have to worry about them!

Or Artex :evil:

Sponsored Links

Such foul language from someone so cultured. I assume Artex was leapt on because it allowed builders and DIY types to hide **** ceilings. It'd be alright if they applied it smooth, rather than creating a dripping snot effect.

I think when it's applied smooth, it's called 'plaster'!

Dripping snot? Never thought of it quite like that before..more teenage acne made into a building material?

My sister-in-law prided herself on the fact that the viciously spiky Artex on her hall walls rarely needed cleaning, as nobody ever brushed against it for fear of their limbs being ripped off. Odd shreds of flesh and blood spots here and there suggested she was correct.

They never had many visitors, though...

I am new and not sure if i can jump straight in here, but gr8 tips on what to use to repair cracks, wonderin how expensive it would be to have a cornice made ie more ornate than the ones in situ, thanx for any info on this.

Given that Artex can be used as a coving adhesive, and is less likely to crack, can it be used to fill cracks in plaster walls and ceiling? Having never used Artex, I have no idea what texture is has.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back