Condensation on ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have black patches caused by Condensation forming on my bedroom ceiling during the winter months......this only forms in the winter months, and is not a leak.

The patches run the length of the bedroom wall which is rear facing south which has the sun (when it actually shines) on it during the day.

The wall also has a window on it with window vents that also form a lot of condensation on them during the winter months.

The black patches caused by condensation runs the length of the ceiling (left -right) in patches but only comes out from the ceiling a few center meters. It does not form on the outside wall that the window is on, only the ceiling.

The only other part is a small corner on the other outside wall, but not ceiling where the wall meets the window wall, but the patch is only in the corner and not the ceiling.

The ceilings were plastered when we moved in so i am not sure if this was a problem before or if water has been sealing in.......any ideas for solutions. No washing is kept in this room

I was thinking of adding more loft insulation along the area, then painting over the ceiling area with an oil based paint i.e gloss, then repaint the whole ceiling in emulation white. Same in the corner patch, this wall would need re papered though.

____ Window_______
|C
|
|
|
|

Sponsored Links
There is loft insulation already but unsure of size, No problem to add to this but laying more on top.

How could I create more ventilation?

The bedroom door is kept open at night, the window vents I have tried opening and closing at night, still same problems. I also open the windows during the day for at least an hour or 2 in the mornings during winter....longer in spring-autumn

Changed my post to state this is black patches caused by Condensation

See attached photo of outside, from inside loft the insulation stops and you can reach into the fascia View media item 56184

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back