Dulux Trade Diamond Matt (White) 3 Years on.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A little bit of feedback on a pretty expensive product sold to me by a rather convincing sales person (how politically correct am I).

Did a very modern renovation of mid-terrace circa 1900 house 3 years ago.

Did All the walls with 1 x finish coat of Diamond Matt. I've got two large (30kg) hunting/pointing dogs who love nothing more than coming in and either :-

a). Shaking their mud over everything
b). Drying themselves (if I've been quick enough to shower them down outside) by rubbing themselfs on the lovely white walls

A quick wipe down. No noticeable degradation is finish and still lovely and white. Expensive, but really does it's job.

Dulux Satinwood to all timber - all fine to...

Sponsored Links
The only trouble with dulux diamond matt is its not a very traditional matt finish. Apart from that it does do what it says on the tin.
Personally i've moved over towards little green and johnstones for the tougher finishes.
Just been in Brewers and little green acrylic eggshell is the same price as the dulux diamond eggshell and the little green is really nice paint so once again bye bye to another dulux product!

Im happy to give that a go. However, I can't buy from Brewers as the charge soooo much and their rep has not even bothered to return my call about costs. Stunned ! Brewers obviously have not been effected by a fall in trade :)

Yep Brewers are pricey and paint as a whole is getting stupidly expensive, maybe the manufacturers answer to recession is to squeeze as much out of the guys supporting them as possible..... nice attitude.

You have to be careful what you buy from Brewers, i actually get dulux paint cheaper than the other trade shop in my town but other things are a joke ready mixed solvite is three times the price than it is in homebase.

Have you tried opening a cash account? It will give you a bit of discount.

Sponsored Links
dcdec,

I've opened a cash account a while ago. I only use Brewers if I "need-it-now". If I'm doing a whole house (as I did last week), then I'll have a good look around. To be honest, my local B&Q came out the cheapest. Would have been a little cheaper with the Trade account (B&Q) at their bigger store in nursling, but I could not be bothered to drive.

I popped in and pointed out that their 5L Dulux Satinwood Trade was £8 more expensive than B&Q. The guys behind the counter (who are great) said I should call my rep up. I called my rep and left a message. He never returned the call. So, I went and spent £300+ at B&Q.

I think CaneAdam (Baisingstoke) look like a nice big paint store. I might go up their next. I'm currently refurbishing a 4/5 house and it will all need painting. So, a couple of hundred quid's worth of gear.

I

Just a thought... Now, as you guys (or most of you) are professional P&D's and paint does not tend to go off so quick AND you prob. use a stable stock of paints -

Trade Gloss/Satinwood
Stain block's
UnderCoats
Mist Coat for plaster
Magnolia (on trade jobs)
ect.

Do you ever consider either joining together and going to a paint outlet and buying in bulk to get a better discount.

OR

Do you buy what you need, when you need it...

I know I went into a paint outlet near John Lewis in Southampton (I think a Dulux Centre) and saw some Dulux Trade 'something or other'. It was marked up at £54 (5L) I said is that the best you can do (I was looking like trade). I then pointed out I could get it £10 cheap in B&Q, they dropped to that price. Then I said, so, whats the point getting it from you? They then offered to drop the price again if I was ordering more than one tin. So, they DO have some margin to move.....

Does anyone order online ?

Cane Adam is the other account i have and i can buy Dulux cheaper at Brewers. CA is a very good store but it can be painfully slow getting served, it can turn into an hours round trip easily and when you calculate that into the price it actually works out quite expensive, at least Brewers are fast.

Its ridiculous that we in the trade can go off to B&Q and buy Dulux paint cheaper than we can at a Decorators merchants it begs the question why bother to use them? I dont have a dulux decorating centre but i've read an awful lot of moans about their prices.

Buying on line can be more expensive when you take into account delivery charges, some dont charge for orders over X amount but then it gets stuck on a 3 day del schedule and you've got to be able to receive the delivery or have it left on your doorstep.

We are scattered all over the country so banding together may not work as for example Brewers are only in the south and i have no DDC within an hours drive. Also it would only take a few guys to not collect expensive orders or something an the account would be closed..... good idea though.

I use paints from many different manufacturers as quality and ability to do the job varies across their product range. Thats probably the best reason for not joining Dulux select as i dont want to be commited to one label and especially Dulux who are going down hill fast and hiking their prices while they do it.

If i had to use one company it would probably be Johnstones

The Cane Adam store isn't very big but it is a bit of a tardis. It would be worth ringing them first telling them what you want and getting a price. Then (if they'll let you) order it to be mixed up the day before you collect or you'll be in there for hours if you want £300 worth of paint mixed up while you wait.
They also don't carry much stock of certain paints.

Ah... Thanks for the tip dcdec.

I agree with you. I'd get a mix list done first, then give them a call. If ever possible I do prefer to give my trade to an independent, you usually get so much better service. OK, sometimes you pay a little more (perhaps a couple of notes) but that's fine too.

When I was doing some work in Dorchester, their is a great independent paint store on the trading estate near scatts. Great prices and really nice and helpful. Not sure if they are still open, as I've not done any work their for a year or two.

Paul.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back