Emulsioned walls above bath - use as shower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, we've just moved into a new (rented) place and this is the current bathroom:

2f8j.jpg

As you can see, there is a shower head there but it's mounted very low and the walls above he tiled area are just normal emulsion (lovely magnolia), which I feel won't take kindly to water (yes, got a tiny bit wet when I was cleaning!)

I would like to mount the shower head higher up, fit a shower curtain and use this as a shower, but what do I need to do to the painted wall first? Is there a paint I can use which would seal it off to water?

Cheers,

Gareth

Sponsored Links
Did Bilbo Baggins rent the place before you?

You probably need to discuss it with your landlord before making any changes, despite the fact the shower is only really any good for washing your hair and not much else, the landlord might throw a hissy if you make any changes.

A shower area really needs tiling up to the ceiling, ordinary matt emulsion will cause problems, the wall will get soaked and penetrate. Eggshell is tougher and designed for water and moisture to run off but don't think its designed to get drenched a couple of times a day. Other option i guess is to fit some kind of clear plastic/perpex type stuff to protect the area that gonna get wet.

The question is, was the place rented to you with a bath/shower?

If so then ask the landlord to tile the wall and fit a curtain rail.

Most landlords know that it is very hard to rent a place without a shower.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying.

There is another shower, in our en suite, which we use daily.

This would mainly be for visitors, so would only be used occasionally, so eggshell might be ok?

I'll mention it to the landlord, but I don't see a problem painting the wall with eggshell, if it's returned to magnolia emulsion for the end of the tenancy.

For a shower area the walls need to be tiled.

No paint will cover the walls that will act as a shower wall!!!

Andy

ok, thanks.

I'll speak to the landlord and see if he has anything against me having the wall tiled further up. I can't see him having a problem with it, if anything it will add value to the property.

Cheers!

Gareth

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back