How long to leave woodwork before painting?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I've replaced the door facings and skirtings in our hallway with soft wood mouldings. The timber was left in the house for a week to allow it to get used to the ambient temperature etc. Do I need to leave it any longer?

I have used various caulks in the past, the last one was an Everbuild product. Every time it has cracked after a couple of weeks. I don't know if it's due to the timber moving or poor quality caulk. Can anyone recommend a decent caulk?

Cheers, J

Sponsored Links
was the room up to the normal temperature for the full time whilst the wood dried

dependant on how it was stored it can take several weeks for timber to settle
but assuming its around 60x20mm profile a week or two should do it

to be honest things like washing drying on radiators and humid conditions can slow down or stop the acclimatization prosses

Sponsored Links
Everbuild 125 is the best caulk allrounder IMO.

There are other caulk type products that allow for a lot of movement, eg CT1 but they cost about 8 times more

Cheers.

125 is the stuff I've been using. Must be something I'm doing wrong :oops: .

I use CT1 all the time at work. Thought it was just a grab adhesive and sealant. Didn't know it could be used as a caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back