Paint does not dry, and stays tacky?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys. I am in need of some help. Basically here is the story.
I build a speaker cabinets from MDF. And used the BnQ Colours undercoat and primer This.
It dries nice and feels ok. But after this i used the Plastikote matt spray, and it did not dry it stays tacky for a long time. So i decided to try another paint, thinking spray is not compatible, and bought Dulux Quick Dry Satinwood black paint. But i encountered same problem. It says on the tin "touch dry in 30 min" but even after few hours i can still leave marks on the surface if i press harder. Basically even after more that 12 hours i rested speaker cabinet on the shirt, and it left the marks on the surface. Could you please advice me on what to do? Is this the primer fault?
Thank you. Mike.

Sponsored Links
Paint will always take a good few days at least to dry properly/go hard.

Water based paints dry quicker, though again can seem a bit tacky when you think it should have dried.

Unless you can find a really quick drying paint I suggest you wait a bit longer, and avoid put things on the surface till it really dries out.

It's a pain waiting around, yet a really fast drying paint could be a nightmare to apply.

Paint will always take a good few days at least to dry properly/go hard.

Water based paints dry quicker, though again can seem a bit tacky when you think it should have dried.

Unless you can find a really quick drying paint I suggest you wait a bit longer, and avoid put things on the surface till it really dries out.

It's a pain waiting around, yet a really fast drying paint could be a nightmare to apply.

Well it has been good 4 days since i painted it. And i can still leave my finger prints on it if i press a bit harder. This is a speaker and i need to work with it, i can not leave it for a month to dry, because i need to finish it! :) I've seen people complaining what even after few months paint stays tacky. Should i just try to refund the money? I only used it a bit. And it doesn't do what it says on a tin. What paint will be good for me? I need black satin or matte finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back