Preparing walls for painting/wallpapering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my kitchen walls skimmed (the brown to pink stuff) and my bedroom partially skimmed in certain places only where the original plaster was beginning to crumble (the white stuff).

I intend to paint the kitchen walls and tile the splashback. I've just bought a tin of Dulux (I think) plaster sealer. Will this be sufficient before starting on the 'proper' painting of silk emulsion, or should I still use an undercoat?

I'm going to wallpaper the bedrooms. Will sizing the new, white plaster be sufficient, or should I prime the walls before sizing?

Sponsored Links
Couple of things in reply to your post.
The dulux plaster sealer should be fine for some of what you have in mind but do allow at least 24 hours before moving on to your silk colour in the kitchen etc. If you just allow overnight, its not enough time in my book.

Not sure of your info on the plaster, you say it's the brown gone to a nice dry pink in the kitchen, fair enough, but where does the white come in? Have you switched to white plaster in the bedrooms or are you going to paint the dulux plaster sealer on the walls in there as well, hence pink to white so to speak.?
If you are painting then you will have to be very careful because if you add wallpaper size on top of the paint it will re-wet the paint. When you then apply the wallpaper, if you should have to adjust the sheet, it will pull off the paint from the wall and it will be stuck in places to the back of the paper.
(However, if you oil primed the walls, then used oil eggshell allowing to dry for a couple of days, this is my only method for new paint under paper.)

So, depending on your skills, I would not paint sealer on the bedroom walls, just size them, cross line with lining paper, then add your chosen top paper.

Thank you for the reply.

Re: the plaster - my plasterer fully skimmed the kitchen, hence the pinky plaster in there. He didn't fully skim the bedrooms as they didn't need to be perfect as I was always intending to wallpaper upstairs, so he just used a different sort of plaster in the places that needed it. The plaster went on white and once dried he sanded it smooth.

I'm guessing I just need to size the bedroom walls then?

Thank you for the tip about the sealer ... I'll give it a few days before starting to paint properly.

Sponsored Links
Yes that all sounds like a good job, I use pink plaster and white, depends on the state of the walls.
Size the walls, leave to dry overnight before papering and don't have any water based paint under the size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back