red marks appearing on newly painted walls and ceilings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can anyone help. We live in a 2 bedroom cottage that we have been decorating over the last 6 months. The problem I have is that I have red marks appearing on all of of the newly painted walls and ceilings. they dont appear straight away but are multiplying. I've attached some examples and they are all pretty similar in terms of shape and size. they almost look like crayon marks but we dont have any crayons !

thanks

Jaye

Sponsored Links
Certainly look like crayon marks because they are only on the high parts of the surface.

May I ask if you have children in the house, or somebody that perhaps exercises with some equipment that might mark.

Otherwise it's a mystery, as I have never heard of a Poltergeist using a felt tip pen!
;)

Is the wall red underneath the white coat? someone's scraped a bit of the paint off.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

No children in the house and the walls weren't red. In fact i'm getting them on a brand new wall thats just been put up and also on a brand new set of white wooden shutters. Its a mystery !

Jaye

It looks like something has been rubbed against the surface/s and some red colouring has come off onto the paint. One of the main culprits for this is plastic carrier bags which leave multi-coloured marks everywhere when rubbed against things - but anything with a red coloured surface that rubs against the wall could be responsible. That said, I'm not sure why they would be appearing on the ceiling as well! Maybe a red ball or something being bounced around for a dog? :confused:

Can you wipe these marks off with a damp cloth, they could be some sort of Insect Trails.

Hi,

thanks for the reply. no they wont wipe off they are almost stained. I managed to get a couple off but it took bleach and a lot of elbow grease. that was on a part of the ceiling that needed repainting anyway so didnt matter too much but obviously dont want to be scrubbing the paint work off on the freshly painted walls.

Jaye

If you're getting these marks on other surfaces, could it be something in the paint?

Or has your paint brush gone rusty?

Hi,

No some of the areas where they are appearing havent even been painted e.g shutters that came from the factory pre-painted and have now started to show the marks.

Jaye

Might be marks from a blood-sucking insect, especially if someone has swiped it with a newspaper or towel.

Where are you?

Might be marks from a blood-sucking insect, especially if someone has swiped it with a newspaper or towel.

Where are you?

Well at least he is in the UK thankfully it's not Transylvania :D

It does look like the marks made by a suitcase or something maybe being put up on top of a wardrobe or the painted handle of a dusting brush perhaps

I notice you are painting over embossed wallpaper. The red seems to follow wrinkles. It would be interesting to scrape the paint off a patch and see if the paper has a red pattern (or old crayon marks or old red paint)

Was this ever resolved. I would be interested to know the outcome?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back