Removing polyurethane varnish.....HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to remove polyurethane varnish from some solid oak kitchen unit doors, prior to giving them a limed oak finish.
I've tried one of the new water-based solvent-free paint and varnish strippers which have replaced the now banned dichloromethane ones, but after following the instructions and using 3 applications, hardly any of the varnish has been removed, leaving a blotchy "no going back" result. :eek:

Extensive googling has revealed that these types of kitchen unit varnishes are difficult to remove. :rolleyes:

Does anyone know the best and most reliable way to do it?

Here's hoping......

Sponsored Links
Hmm....I'd thought of that. But there are a lot of intricate mouldings which would be impossible to get into with a sander.

Thanks anyway for the suggestion.

Sponsored Links
So I'm assuming I can't just order some online?

Maybe someone I know might have some languishing in their shed from a few years ago.

To OP ... How long did you leave stripper on for? Did you brush it really thick? This Eco stuff gets bad press but you an get decent results with it. I stripped some chairs last wit it last week .... Brush on thick, leave for one hour and pressure wash off and had a good clean result. Advantage of Eco strippers against mc strippers is they stay wet for days as opposed to the others whic dry out in 10 mins. Mc strippers though dangerous to use are th most effective though

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back