How to wire two lights from a single switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Can somone advise me how I can change the wiring as per below requirement.

Currently I have 1 light switch that controls two lights. I want to be able to swithc these lights on / off separately from the same place on the wall (ie the same switch). I assumed I would open the switch and find wiring for each light, that I could then re-wire to one of those sockets that has a left & right half-switch. Unfortunately, when I opened the socket, there were only two wires, so it seems the lights are joined elsewhere (I'm assuming). Is there any way to achieve the above without trying to find where the wires for the two lights are joined?

Thanks,
Sky

Sponsored Links
No.

The wires will probably be joined behind one of the lights. (Edit: they would be in the UK. Just noticed you're in the Netherlands.) However you will still need to run new cable to the switch - unless you use a wireless light switch, in whcih case you will have to fix the control box somewhere near the lights.

Thanks for the quick reply.

If I check the wiring behind the lights and do find the connection, what's the easiest way to run the wire to the switch?

For some background, the switch is in the same room as one of the lights, with the other light in the adjoining room. In the UK, would the connection be more likely in one of the rooms, or does it depend on other factors?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Usual UK practice would be to have the two cables of the lighting loop, the cable to the switch, and the cable to the second light, all come together at the first light.

But it certainly can be done in plenty of other ways.

Back