New Hagar CU: larger or smaller cable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Poor English in the Hagar Installation Instructions leave me uncertain. To quote; "
#7. Connect the neutral cable from the lower left switch disconnector terminal, to the Neutral bar and this cable must be than the incoming cable supply C.S.A."
Additionally, as quoted in the 'Important Guidelines' of the same ;
" All cables used in the unit must be the incoming supply cables."
So there it is. The missing words which completes the comparison is either 'larger' or 'smaller'. I could certainly accept 'equal to' but to guess, with any understanding, is beyond me. Any help?

Sponsored Links
Confusing. Does this refer to the cable from the double pole isolating main switch into which the supply cable is connected?
If so
On the load side - The busbar is directly connected to the line side of the switch and a cable goes from the neutral side of the switch to the neutral bar(s). This is usually supplied and fitted. If not then the cross section of this cable must be equal to or larger than the neutral which enters the switch.

What's the exact part no ? it is likely that , say, the French or German translation will not have the same error.

I have fitted a garage CU that did not have an internal neutral connection from RCD to busbar so I just used a piece of the 6mm from the T&E I had used to wire the CU to the main house. As stated, as long as it's not smaller than the supply CSA to the CU it will be safe.

Sponsored Links
Here is some info

Hagar Metal Consumer Unit Rated 100A 12 Way
HE12SN

I can understand a cable equal in size between these 2 connections. I can accept that smaller would possibly be unsafe, therefore not OK. But how would a larger cable be of any merit as it seems to me, a rank beginner, that if the cable from the power pole is say, 16mm, and it carries 60A, why need the internal cable be 18mm? I will choose 'equal in size' as i will have lots of that left over after i clip the incoming wires and reconnect to the new CU. Thanks for the help.

Back