12v circuit switch for 240v fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Electronics novice but I have managed to wire in a 12v vanity LED light circuit in my bathroom. It is from a 12v 15W (Max) driver which is housed inside a boxed in cabinet space. The light circuit uses a standard wall switch.
I've just had to replace a humidity activated extractor fan which was mounted on the same cabinet with one that is switch controlled with a timer function. The new fan is 240v 14W and has its own isolator switch (again, inside the cabinet) and supply.

Q: Can I use the 12v switch to activate the fan? It is very conveniently placed and i'd rather avoid more switch installations if possible.

Sponsored Links
Is what you're calling the "12v switch" actually switching 12 volts, or is it switching the 240v supply to the 12v LED driver?

The 12v switch is after the driver

240v > LED Driver > 12v switch ------ 2x LED 5w bulbs

I wanted the switch to be 12v for safety reasons

The fan will have its own 240v supply I just wondered if the fan will switch on safely using the same circuit. Probably no harm in trying!?

Sponsored Links
So the driver is powered all the time? Not the best idea, and connecting the 12V output to a 230V fan is going to result in one big bang :eek:

Probably best is you leave mains wiring to someone who's actually got a clue to what they're doing.

So the driver is powered all the time? Not the best idea, and connecting the 12V output to a 230V fan is going to result in one big bang :eek:

I think you may have omitted an adjective (for emphasis) before "big bang" which takes the format of a gerund! :LOL:

... connecting the 12V output to a 230V fan is going to result in one big bang :eek:
I think you may have omitted an adjective (for emphasis) before "big bang" which takes the format of a gerund! :LOL:
If I understand (guess) correctly what the OP was proposing, although it's a crazy idea (indicating, as has been said, that the OP should not even be thinking of attempting this work) and certainly wouldn't work, I don't think there would be any bangs.

I think he was probably suggesting that the 12V supply could somehow be used for the 'trigger' input to the fan (whose perm L and N came from the 230V supply). Even if he connected the switched 12V supply to the N and trigger inputs (the latter usually being connected to the 230V S/L) of the fan (creating an undesirable connection between LV and ELV circuits), it wouldn't work - but nor would it go bang ... unless I'm missing something.

Kind Regards, John

thanks to everyone for your prompt replies. John has it nailed in what I appear to have been unable to articulate. I just needed the switch to act as a trigger.
Even in my ignorance I was sure no bangs would ensue. I thought it wise to seek advice before bothering a sparky and shall refrain from my original course.
Thanks again

thanks to everyone for your prompt replies. John has it nailed in what I appear to have been unable to articulate. I just needed the switch to act as a trigger. Even in my ignorance I was sure no bangs would ensue. I thought it wise to seek advice before bothering a sparky and shall refrain from my original course.
Indeed. The 'trigger input' (usually called 'switched live') of a timer fan requires a substantial voltage to be applied to it to result in triggering - so, even if there were no bangs (and forgetting various other issues which your approach would have raised), 12V would just not do the job. You could theoretically use a 12V relay to switch 230V to the trigger input of the fan, but that's really getting a bit complicated!

Kind Regards, John

Using a 12v dc conractor. Would do what you require.

Switched 12v and neutral across the coil.

A 240v ac to a normally open contact with the 240v returning to the fan.

Just seems a lot of effort though if you've already got a 240v supply to the fan.

Using a 12v dc conractor. Would do what you require. Switched 12v and neutral across the coil. A 240v ac to a normally open contact with the 240v returning to the fan. Just seems a lot of effort though if you've already got a 240v supply to the fan.
That's what I said - a '12V relay' (or contactor) - but, as both you and I have said, that's all a bit OTT for this particular purpose!

Kind Regards, John

Switched 12v and neutral across the coil
No no no no no.

That would be at best incredibly inconvenient as it instantly tripped the RCD, or at worst highly dangerous.

[EDIT]On second thoughts, the best outcome would be that it just doesn't work.[/EDIT]

Switched 12v and neutral across the coil
No no no no no. ... That would be at best incredibly inconvenient as it instantly tripped the RCD, or at worst highly dangerous.
I suspect (and assumed when I read it) that when Dazz0i wrote 'neutral', he was actually referring to the other (unswitched) side of the 12V supply (rather than the LV neutral).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back