12V Outdoor Downlights - Any recommendations?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I think this is the correct place to post this

I am looking at installing some downlights above my two garage doors, two lights per door, one at the left and one at the right of each door. I am going to install them in the soffit.

I am capable of installing them, it's just I'm struggling to find the lights themselves so I would like some advice

I want something like this but obviously they need to be suitable for outdoor use.

I also want ones with a low power consumption

I am struggling to find something like this reasonably priced on the internet

Does anyone have any suggestions of lights / parts that I could use, I do not want to spend any more than £100 on the whole setup

Also, any other tips / tricks would be welcome :)

Hope you can help, :)

Sponsored Links
Use IP44 ones. I just installed some with 4.3W LED GU10 lamps in them. Plenty bright enough.

Something like

http://www.everythingdiy.co.uk/products/Cast+Aluminium+IP44+FIXED+GU10+Downlight+in+White/4250667173

plus

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/LTGU7NW.html[/QUOTE]

Thanks, wasn't sure on LED's though, don't you think they would be too directional for what I want? I want them to shine on the garage doors

Also, is there no 12V alternative or anything that will save power as I want to have them on everyday when it gets dark, up until about midnight?

Thanks for your help, :)

Sponsored Links
Use IP44 ones. I just installed some with 4.3W LED GU10 lamps in them. Plenty bright enough.

Also, is there no 12V alternative or anything that will save power as I want to have them on everyday when it gets dark, up until about midnight?)

Quote Tlc- "Using less than 5w of power, these are the ultimate energy saving lamp."

:p

Aha I did read read that and I know LEDs hardly use any power but but like I said would LEDs not be too directional and just shine at the ground rather than shine onto the garage doors and the ground?

What do you think?

Won't all MR16 lamps do that?

Isn't that why another common name for those lights is "spotlights"?

What about a couple of low-profile surface mounted lights? You could put CFLs or LED lamps in, or quite possibly find some that use LEDs by design.

You did highlight

Those LEDs have a
Beam Angle: 38°
Which is about the same as many downlight lamps.

If you want to point them look for adjustable downlights as they can be tilted.

IP44 is the preferred requirement to protect against occassional water ingress but, quite frankly, they wont get wet under a soffit unless you spray them with a hosepipe.

Is it just me, or is there something really naff about downlights in soffits?

Around here they seem to be the new stone cladding on all the council estates. That and Corinthian columns. :mad:

Or is there a different class system in Cambridgeshire? :LOL:

I want them to shine on the garage doors
Do you actually want the lights to shine on the doors?

Or do you want them to light the uprights when you drive (or, more properly, reverse) in?

Also, is there no 12V alternative or anything that will save power as I want to have them on everyday when it gets dark, up until about midnight?
12V isn't the criterion which saves power. It's the wattage you need to consider.

Won't all MR16 lamps do that?

Isn't that why another common name for those lights is "spotlights"?

What about a couple of low-profile surface mounted lights? You could put CFLs or LED lamps in, or quite possibly find some that use LEDs by design.

Hmmm, I have never actually looked into the difference between the beam angle of GU10/MR16 bulbs and LED style ones, I just always thought that LEDs were more directional than the others

I will have to do some research into the beam angles available

Any links to the lights you mean, like the low profile surface mounted ones? I think Dad really wants the hidden away, recessed style ones though

You did highlight

Those LEDs have a
Beam Angle: 38°
Which is about the same as many downlight lamps.

If you want to point them look for adjustable downlights as they can be tilted.

IP44 is the preferred requirement to protect against occassional water ingress but, quite frankly, they wont get wet under a soffit unless you spray them with a hosepipe.

Didn't think they'd get wet, I was going to install some indoor ones that I have, but I only have two of them, so I thought I might as well use them indoors somewhere, and get 4 'outdoor' ones for the garage. I will look for some IP44 ones :)

Is it just me, or is there something really naff about downlights in soffits?

Around here they seem to be the new stone cladding on all the council estates. That and Corinthian columns. :mad:

Or is there a different class system in Cambridgeshire? :LOL:

Aha, no, I think they look nice, lol :) Not many people around here have them, hardly any to be honest

I want them to shine on the garage doors
Do you actually want the lights to shine on the doors?

Or do you want them to light the uprights when you drive (or, more properly, reverse) in?

12V isn't the criterion which saves power. It's the wattage you need to consider.

Hmmmm ok, I'm not sure about whether they are going to be pointing at the doors or the uprights, they are actually for my Dad, I'm just doing the question asking here for him. I will ask him and get back to you

OK, thanks for the info about wattage, I will bear that in mind

So you're just saying 240V ones ... with a low watt bulb? Like the LED ones mentioned above?

Something like

http://www.everythingdiy.co.uk/products/Cast+Aluminium+IP44+FIXED+GU10+Downlight+in+White/4250667173

plus

Have you got / can you get any pictures of these lights that you installed? Would be great if you could :)

I might get LEDs as that is what my Dad had originally suggested as they look nicer (and they are cheap to run, so it is an extra bonus), and a lot of you here don't seem to think the beam angle of LEDs would be an issue, especially if they are tilt-able lights like taylortwocities recommended

Thanks for all the help :)

Around here they seem to be the new stone cladding on all the council estates.
Ha.

Try driving round the Costwolds and find any house (council or private) built in the last 20 years (or possibly longer) where what you see is real stone construction and not thin Cotswold stone slips cladding lightweight blocks.

I was thinking more the Jack Duckworth variety :D

I dare say soffit downers (if that doesn't sound too disparaging) could possibly look classy on some nice garage doors. I'd be inclined to opt for the LED type, if only as they're going to be left on all evening (in dark nights) you can rest in the knowledge the environmental issue will be negligable.

I would consider wiring them into a PEC (photo elec cell), as well as a timeswitch that puts them off at your desired time. That way you can just forget about them, and they'll come on at dusk every evening. (Maybe you already have).

... only run for a certain period after it gets dark. Not all night.

Problem there is it's a case of, winter they go off early, summer on all night. As I understand it, you're still left with needing to adjust through the seasons. Not much advantage over a standard timeswitch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back