Bathroom extractor fan - advice

as a non-expert I would assume part p wasn't needed since you aren't doing anything in the bathroom itself to do with electricity.
ALL electrical work has to comply with the requirements of Part P of the building regulations. One of those requirements is that electrical in some areas has to be notified to the local authority building control as well as being done by competant people who may be DIYers if they can show ( prove ) they are competant to the satisfaction of the building control department.

Sponsored Links
ALL electrical work has to comply with the requirements of Part P of the building regulations. One of those requirements is that electrical in some areas has to be notified to the local authority building control as well as being done by competant people who may be DIYers if they can show ( prove ) they are competant to the satisfaction of the building control department.

Sorry, of course, it's notification which may not be needed in this instance.

TBH, I would make sure that your plumber actually knows what he's doing as he will be making himself liable otherwise if issues crop up (for example, a house near where I work recently burned down because of renovation works causing a loft fire). If he's not competent, he's probably not insured.

wow - thanks for the advice.

Definitely going out of the roof / wall than soffit. One last question, I have an old vent tile that the old boiler used to use so I'm thinking of using that rather than putting another hole in the roof. The issue is that it must be a good 10 feet from above the bathroom and the pipe would be going nearly straight up. Would that be too far to go? I was thinking of getting a condensation trap anyway that leads out of the soffit.

thanks again.

just as an update, the plumber who came around to quote for the extractor fan thinks that it'll be fine to go out the soffit - he says that by the time it gets outside it'll just dissipate. He says that its rare for bathroom fans to vent out the roof.

It sort of makes sense, maybe going through the roof is overkill?

Sponsored Links
just as an update, the plumber who came around to quote for the extractor fan thinks that it'll be fine to go out the soffit -
How deep are your soffits?

He says that its rare for bathroom fans to vent out the roof.
whole_house3.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back