Bathroom heater - straight (ish) swap??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have a an old fan heater in the bathroom. Connected to a fused spur. All zone compliance in order nothing to worry about there.

It doesn't work. Went bang first and last time we tried using it years ago. Add to that it is old smelly thing and I would rather not use one, hence reason to not replace with similar.

So.. I have bought a thermostatic, oil filled towel rail. Electric, because we are an electric only household unfortunately!

My questions are.... Is this just a simple case of straight swap??

(I can't remember exact details about it as is in loft at mo, but will fetch it soon so I can post exact info if needed.)

I will reposition very slightly, just to turn the the corner from where it is currently mounted. I will obviously double check zones. But from memory when I first started looking at this last yr, I had worked it out then as being fine before even considering opening the box!

Second question is.... which circuit would I expect to find a bathroom heater such as this on. I ask because there isn't a dedicated switch on mains board. This existing heater has been in place for minimum of 5 yrs. I haven't investigated yet, but initial thoughts were it must be on upstairs socket circuits? If it is, is this ok??

Just want to reiterate, that I haven't started anything yet!

Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
......erm.... is there something wrong with my question?? Not being sarcastic just genuinely interested as have noticed page views but no response?

to clarify:

I would like to know if it is ok to undertake the work as a straightforward enough swap i.e put new towel rail on the fused spur currently used for old fan heater? Any reasons why I shouldn't legally or otherwise?

What circuit were these old heaters supposed to be on? I understand that due to changes this would no longer be the done thing, however - as it is a heater, in a bathroom, in same zone this is not an issue surely? I just want to know, as google is not very helpful at answering my question - which circuit this should be on. What circuit was typically used for bathroom heaters??

I don't know which circuit it is currently on, because I haven't checked yet. But as I would like to do the job from start to finish saturday, I would like to know for when I do find out, if it is actually safe, or if I need to get an electrician out?

Thanks for any help

Also should add

Am going to replace existing spur with a switched one.

The spur can be mounted on outside of bathroom, on the other side of wall the rail to be mounted on, but will be bit of an eye sore as is facing down the stairs so would rather not.

My questions are.... Is this just a simple case of straight swap??
Probably.

I will reposition very slightly, just to turn the the corner from where it is currently mounted. I will obviously double check zones. But from memory when I first started looking at this last yr, I had worked it out then as being fine before even considering opening the box!
Bathroom zones and safe zone for cable routing.

which circuit would I expect to find a bathroom heater such as this on. I ask because there isn't a dedicated switch on mains board. This existing heater has been in place for minimum of 5 yrs. I haven't investigated yet, but initial thoughts were it must be on upstairs socket circuits? If it is, is this ok??
No expectations.
Most likely the socket circuit. Yes, that's ok.

......erm.... is there something wrong with my question?? Not being sarcastic just genuinely interested as have noticed page views but no response?
It's a bit long.

I would like to know if it is ok to undertake the work as a straightforward enough swap i.e put new towel rail on the fused spur currently used for old fan heater? Any reasons why I shouldn't legally or otherwise?
Yes.
No.

What circuit were these old heaters supposed to be on?
No supposed to be.
An electrical circuit is just that - if it is fit for the purpose.

I understand that due to changes this would no longer be the done thing,
Not sure what you mean.

however - as it is a heater, in a bathroom, in same zone this is not an issue surely? I just want to know, as google is not very helpful at answering my question - which circuit this should be on. What circuit was typically used for bathroom heaters??
It would probably be on the socket circuit as that is all there is.
Lighting circuit obviously not suitable for heating.

I don't know which circuit it is currently on, because I haven't checked yet. But as I would like to do the job from start to finish saturday, I would like to know for when I do find out,
What rating was the old heater - 1 or 2kW?
The radiator is likely to be 150W or similar.

if it is actually safe,
It will be if you do it properly.

or if I need to get an electrician out?
What if I say "Yes"?

Am going to replace existing spur with a switched one.
Ok.

The spur can be mounted on outside of bathroom, on the other side of wall the rail to be mounted on, but will be bit of an eye sore as is facing down the stairs so would rather not.
As long as more than 600mm from edge of bath in a vertical plane and 'suitable for the environment' it will be ok.

Sponsored Links
EFLImpudence - lol! and Thanks!

Quote:
I understand that due to changes this would no longer be the done thing,

Not sure what you mean.

I mean that from what I can gather on internet - due to changes in the 16th or 17th (?) regs a bathroom heater should be on it's own dedicated circuit.
I may not have the exact details right, I might be completely wrong? But either way it was a concern and I wanted to check it out. Just wanted to confirm that as already installed as such, I wasn't actually doing something wrong, just replacing existing

I thought about downloading the whole 17th edition, but decided I'd save myself just a little time, by trying here first!

Quote:
I don't know which circuit it is currently on, because I haven't checked yet. But as I would like to do the job from start to finish saturday, I would like to know for when I do find out,

What rating was the old heater - 1 or 2kW?
The radiator is likely to be 150W or similar.

Haven't taken the scabby old one down yet to check label and can't see anything on front. The new one is 150w.

if it is actually safe,

It will be if you do it properly.

I have changed elements in immersion boiler and oven. Replaced light switches, sockets and ceiling roses - from some really hideous ceiling fan monstrosities. Changed heat resistant flex on oven and boiler. Also laid laminate flooring, fitted skirtings throughout, plumbed in all of kitchen appliances replacing all wastes/hoses. Changed taps throughout house. Replaced a whole bathroom suite changing pipework etc. plus tiling. Am going to fit my own kitchen inc. worktops, floor, wall tiles.

Did all this on own. Self taught, not to mention all decorating jobs, shelf fitting etc. I would like to think I am safe and conscientious.

It's a bit long.

Being a woman and one with Irish blood - I guess it's par for the course! ;)

Quote:
or if I need to get an electrician out?

What if I say "Yes"?

I'd say you just wasted a few minutes of your life typing the rest of your response :p

Thank you very much! It really is appreciated.

I mean that from what I can gather on internet - due to changes in the 16th or 17th (?) regs a bathroom heater should be on it's own dedicated circuit.
Water heaters over a certain size, comprehensive electric space heating, cooking appliances >2kW should (but not must) be on their own dedicate circuits, to avoid overloading part of a ring. Not a concern with a 150W heater.

I thought about downloading the whole 17th edition
You can't, not legally.

Being a woman and one with Irish blood
So not German, and a little bit sticky? ;)

I thought about downloading the whole 17th edition

You can't, not legally.

Another reason not to then, I did need one.

Don't remember seeing anything to suggest it was illegal last year when I was looking. So it's either a new law, or you have just saved me from possible life as somebody's prison 'wife' no doubt!

Being a woman and one with Irish blood

So not German, and a little bit sticky? icon_wink.gif

..um...pass??!... the only things that spring to mind are quite frankly disgusting, so couldn't possibly be what you mean.

But thanks for first answer! :) X

It's always been a copyrighted publication which you have to buy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Requirement...e=UTF8&qid=1385134643&sr=1-1&keywords=bs+7671

ahh! ..... well now the student becomes the master. You see, Ban-All... It is actually a wonder of the t'interweb these days that you can actually pay for stuff, then download it.

I know!! Brilliant isn't it!

You are welcome! X

;)

Well as you're obviously a nice decent sort, I can breathe a sigh of relief regarding the Sticky German! And yes, that is exactly what inspired my name!

It is actually a wonder of the t'interweb these days that you can actually pay for stuff, then download it.

I know!! Brilliant isn't it!
It would be if there was a Kindle (or any e-book) version, but I don't think there is. ;)

OK.

Mind you - not sure I'd want to give them the satisfaction of charging me more for e-book versions (which have a manufacturing and distribution cost pretty close to zero) than I could buy paper ones for from Amazon, or quite a bit more than I could buy used paper ones for from Amazon or eBay.

I paid £33.60 inc P&P for my copy, off eBay, and it was in as-new condition.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back