Bathroom light, fan & switch (+bonus flickering) issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Situation:

Bathroom has one 1 light and 1 bathroom fan extractor.

They were both working fine until the lightbulb blew.

Additionally the fan extractor timer no longer worked and the fan would not turn itself off.

I replaced the lightbulb, which turns on.

I bought a new fan extractor and fitted this, but it would not turn itself off.

I noticed that although the light is switched off, every now and again it flickers on.

I opened by the switch and have taken a photo (attached) of how it was wired.

I then replaced the switch (wired the same way as it was before) and the light still flickers on.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks,
J[/img]

Sponsored Links
Is that a single switch? Can't see clearly from the photo, but assuming it's a single switch the small red wire would seem pointless, the red coming in you would assume is perm live and the black switched live (should be marked red too really)

But the switch may not be your issue, is there a junction box somewhere, can you post photos of the light rose and fan wiring along with a photo of the isolator (assuming you have one) and JB if you can find it?

Having said that a switch costs a couple of quid so if you are confident it may be worth trying a new one.

I'm not an electrician though.

I noticed that although the light is switched off, every now and again it flickers on.
Do you have a CFL or LED light?

This is not uncommon for CFL and LED lights and is not a problem.
There are ways to counteract this if it bothers you.

If you do then try a 'normal' lamp.

Does anyone know if this would be sufficient to switch on the fan every time it flashes?

It looks like there is no earth in the cable. Is there? This may be the cause of the flashing.

Pls post pictures as requuested above.

It looks like the fan runinng is associated with the bulb blowing. Did you change ANY wiring at teh time this happened.? Or did you simply change the lamp?

Do you have any test equipment - like a multimeter? Not a neon screwdriver!

Sponsored Links
Is that a single switch? Can't see clearly from the photo, but assuming it's a single switch the small red wire would seem pointless.
Double pole switch would be my guess. The link wire is still pointless though.

You can see some green/yellow sleeving behind the red and black wires indicating there is possibly an earth. Also the switch is embossed 'DP'.

The DP switch is being used as an SP one, I'm guessing the switch is not the issue - although I would like him to try another one.
He has changed the switch, maybe the old one was not a DP.
Is teh cpc connection significant? Is it (perhaps) not a cps at all ;)

I am really waiting for a response to my question.

It looks like the fan runinng is associated with the bulb blowing. Did you change ANY wiring at the time this happened.? Or did you simply change the lamp?

I am not contribuuting any more until the OP responds.

Hi All,

Thanks for your help!

It was an energy saver bulb that fitted, so I changed it to a regular one and the extractor fan is now turning off! (and the blub does not flicker).

When I cast my mind back the bulb I took out was not an energy saving one so this must have been the cause.

Excellent stuff! Thank you very much everyone to helped me troubleshoot this - really appreciated.

Finally, I don't really understand how the bulb could be flickering if the switch was off - surely there would be no current flowing to it?!

Thanks again,
J

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back