Dangerous wiring?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, My flat is not that old probably built within the last 15 years.
Since we moved in the electrics have been dodgey, plugs are always hot.
Any thing that draws a large amount of power and is used for a long period burns out.
The switch for the storage heater burnt out, the original timer for the water heater burnt out.
I replaced it and this burnt out.
I put a normal socket in and we used one of those plug in timers, which burnt out.
I replaced with a fused water heater switch which burnt out again.
Why are they burning out and not tripping the fuses?
Also I flipped the tripper for the water heater but it was still live.
Is the aperage too high and if so why is it like this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
You raised a similar issue over two years ago - you were advised to get your electrical installation checked out - have you done that?
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=211036
Get an electrician in immediately to conduct an Electrical Installation Condition Report - that will identify any issues and put your mind to rest.

Could you post up a picture of the fuse board and the head / meter area. Nice and clear so we can see the labels and what circuits are fused by type and style of mcb's.

If there are any labels on the storage heater or water heater that would help, the circuit loading needs to be understood and such labels or pictures will help.

Sponsored Links
Hope these pictures are okay?
IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0353.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

IMAG0351.jpg

IMAG0352.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0348.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

Cheers
Mark.

The fuses appear to match the anticipated loads of the main circuits - though we don't know the cable sizes.
How many storage heaters are running of that 15Amp fuse - it is normal to have one fuse per storage heater so you should have only one.

The pictures of the burnt out switches could simply be down to a failure to correctly terminate the cable - which has led to a heat build up and eventually the problem you have.

If this is the same flat you have already posted about two years ago - you are crazy to have left it for such a long time.
This forum is not going to solve your problem - I repeat again (just like you were told two years ago) GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN - quickly!!!!!

The fuses appear to match the anticipated loads of the main circuits - though we don't know the cable sizes.
How many storage heaters are running of that 15Amp fuse - it is normal to have one fuse per storage heater so you should have only one.

The pictures of the burnt out switches could simply be down to a failure to correctly terminate the cable - which has led to a heat build up and eventually the problem you have.

If this is the same flat you have already posted about two years ago - you are crazy to have left it for such a long time.
This forum is not going to solve your problem - I repeat again (just like you were told two years ago) GET AN ELECTRICIAN IN - quickly!!!!!
Only one storage heater off the one fuse.
We don't have any dead or live terminated wiring?
And how much would it cost, to get the wiring looked at and certified and to replace the wiring to 3 sockets?
Yes I know the argument how much would it cost if there was a fire.

You say the place is less than 15 years old, but that consumer unit looks older, would expect 6amp and 32amp MCB's

it looks to me to have been redecorated, and to have had new accessories fitted, since it was rewired. Maybe the person who did it didn't do the screws up tightly. That will lead to poor connections and overheating of terminals. It is most unlikely the accessories were faulty and they don't look old.

BS5419 was withdrawn 15 September 1992.

So the consumer unit, assuming it was not in storage before or second hand when fitted, and assuming a newer unit has not been replaced with an older one, could not have been installed much later than that.

So that makes it 20 years, not 15.

Hi, My flat is not that old probably built within the last 15 years.
Since we moved in the electrics have been dodgey, plugs are always hot.
Any thing that draws a large amount of power and is used for a long period burns out.
The switch for the storage heater burnt out, the original timer for the water heater burnt out.
I replaced it and this burnt out.
I put a normal socket in and we used one of those plug in timers, which burnt out.
I replaced with a fused water heater switch which burnt out again.
Why are they burning out and not tripping the fuses?
Also I flipped the tripper for the water heater but it was still live.
Is the aperage too high and if so why is it like this?
Thanks

i see you say you disconnected the MCB for the water heater but the water heater stayed on ? is this correctly marked ? or worse (a case i came across a few years ago) the wiring has been "repaired " by having all the wires connected together and all the MCBS were switched off and on one at a time with all the ccts still working , get it all checked by a qualified electricain as soon as possible

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back