Dishwasher tripping RCBO

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi -

I was hoping you can help me.

Every time the dishwasher is in a cycle, it trips the RCBO (Picture attached). It can be any part of the dishwasher cycle (from 5 minutes in to 45 minutes).

I am confident the dishwasher is not at fault as I can use it to complete any cycle with an extension lead which is also plugged into a different mains socket in the kitchen.

I don't know if this is an overload or maybe a fault with the original socket where the dishwasher is plugged in.

This is my first post so please let me know if further information is required.

Thank you

/t3sh

photo.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thank you for responding so quickly.

Yes, the socket used with the extension is on the same circuit. I just tested using the test button to trip the RCBO.

That would indicate a fault in the spur (I presume it's a spur) from the Kitchen circuit to the DW socket.

You could try checking the terminals in the socket and the one which supplies it. Look for Neutral wire (black or blue) that may be pinched or squashed by the socket screws.

You may need an electrician to properly test it.

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I will check what you have recommended.

I will post any findings once I have had the electrician out to me.

Just had a quick look using the socket tester.

It appears there is no power to the socket now, when only this morning this blasted socket was very much alive but tripping the circuit. I don't wish to open this up now as its got darker (sorry don't have a torch, voltage tester, etc.)

But will at least have a look at the tomorrow morning before calling out an electrician.

Note: The socket tester works well in every other socket.

socket.JPG

Apologies, the above picture is incorrect. I forgot to turn on the fused switch for this socket before I tested.

It comes back as all three lights - Correctly wired. I will still check to see if there is any pinching of wires, water etc

Yes, the socket used with the extension is on the same circuit. I just tested using the test button to trip the RCBO.
That would indicate a fault in the spur (I presume it's a spur) from the Kitchen circuit to the DW socket.
I'm rather struggling to imagine what sort of fault in the spur could result in the RCBO operating on load when the load (DW) was plugged into the socket on that spur without the same happening when the load was plugged into some other socket on the same circuit - unless there is also some other fault in the circuit. What am I missing?

Kind Regards, John.

The wall around that socket looks like it ihas been affected by damp.

Could water from the dish washer's drain hose be getting onto the wall and running down into back of the socket and creating an earth leakage.

In theory if the socket is live ( fused switch ON ) when the machine is running on the extension lead then the socket getting wet should still trip the RCD but the tripping RCDs is not a simple matter.

What am I missing?
You are missing the fact that there is a high resistance cpc in the wound extension lead which is limiting the fault current to earth so it no longer trips the RCBO.

OP, can you please plug the extension lead into the original socket, and try the dishwasher on a cycle again? This will help confirm whether the dishwasher or socket is at fault.

Hi All,

Thank you for the suggestions.

JohnW2
Thats very inspiring, I will check what the OP suggested, to check either end of the SPUR and the connections.

bernardgreen
I will check the hoses and the wall again for any damp/water.

WabbitPoo
I only have led torch from my mobile.

mfarrow
I will try and run my dishwasher into the original socket through the extension lead tonight.

I will also pick up a multimeter and a voltage tester (not screwdriver) tomorrow for basic testing.

I'm rather struggling to imagine what sort of fault in the spur could result in the RCBO operating on load when the load (DW) was plugged into the socket on that spur without the same happening when the load was plugged into some other socket on the same circuit - unless there is also some other fault in the circuit. What am I missing
I was thinking high impedance neutral.- loose, burnt.

However, mfarrow's idea is good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back