Double Light Switch Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Before I begin, my level of experience in wiring is practically zero, so sorry if I have missed anything obvious.

I'm having some problems replacing a double light switch for my new house. The wiring is very old (and being replaced in the New Year), and all the wires are red.

The switches are for the hallway and the living room lights. There wasn't a problem before I tried to change the switch - the old switches were just old and getting sticky when changing. When taking the old switches off, the wiring didn't allow for much room to take a look at what went where, and with it being an old switch, the layouts of the ports are different to the new ones I've bought. I overeagerly unscrewed the wires going into the old switch without taking a better note of what went where.

The main power wire is not very long, so doesn't allow for much flexibility, however it is placed in one of the Com ports. Sharing this port is another wire which is in the shape of an 'n'. The other end of this 'n wire' is placed in the adjacent Com. The wires for the two rooms' lights are then placed in the L1 ports for each switch. Both L2 ports are left vacant.

The problem being encountered is that the living room light will not turn on unless the hallway light is also on. No matter what combination of ways I try and wiring the switches up the result is the same (or no lights come on at all). It's not the end of the world, but I dislike having lights on unnecessarily.

Like I say, the house is going to be rewired in the New Year (it truly is in an awful state, even someone of my level can see that) so if it's costly or really awkward to fix then I can live with it for no, but any simply solutions would be welcome!

Diagram:

http://postimg.org/image/3rm4g3stt/

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have obviously mixed up the wire which supplies the 'main power' which should be in COM with the bridging wire and one of the others.

It sounds like you have mixed the permanent live to the com up.
This will be by your post the L1 of the hallway.
On the hallway gang swap the red in com and L1 over (keeping link across coms) and see if that operates as expected.
If the existing wires are a little short, you can extend them by using connection blocks and additional cable.

Sponsored Links
LR_Hall_Light_Wiring.png

Yeah. You've got the live feed connected to L1 on the hall switch.

Then connected to the Hall switch common terminal you've got the hall switch wire and the link to the lounge switch common terminal.

Then your living room switch wire on L1 of the lounge switch.

Forgetting the link wire, swap the other two wires around in the hall switch.

EDIT:

Sorry. PBoD has already suggested this. :oops:

Thanks guys, got it working. Appreciate the help.
You got it working, or we did?
Would be nice to get feedback and what was the solution to your problem,
just in case it was something new to us, that we may have missed!
As you did state you had tried every possible combination or wiring on the switch!

Sorry - I'm new here (as you can probably tell!). All your feedback solved the issue.

As I say, really appreciate the help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back