Extractor fan run-on timer not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wonder if anyone can please help? The fan that I have in my utility room is a Greenwood EL100TR. That operates fine apart from the fact that the run-on timer doesn't kick in when the the fan is witched off. Strangly though, after I switch off the fan, the electrically operated backdraught shutters still close up after the specified delay so the permanentt live must be functioning ok. Tried adjusting the run-on timer setting to no effect.

The fan itself is powered through a mains socket outlet with 5 amp fuse. On the fan's block, I've wired the live/brown into the L (permanent live) connection, the blue/neutral into the N (Neutral) connection and the green/yellow wire into L1 (switched live) connrection. At one point down the cable I've surface mounted an architrave switch (as a remote on/off). Inside this, I've wired the L1 switched live (green/yellow cable) into the COM with it exiting via the L1 connection while the L & N cables just pass through the architrave innards without a break. Within the mains plug, I've then twisted both the live cables together so that they go onto the L pin with the neutral of course going onto the N pin.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Unplug it and get an electrician

To connect the earth wire ( thats the green and yellow ) to Live is dangerous and could be fatal if someone else was to work on the fan.

Or get three core plus earth and ensure the earth wire is connected to a working earth.

On the fan's block, I've wired the .. green/yellow wire into L1 (switched live) connrection.
T248297.jpg

Wonder if anyone can please help?
An electrician who isn't going to kill you or others in the house with stupidly dangerous wiring can help. Please get one - you are so far from competent to be doing electrical work that it beggars belief.

On the fan's block, I've wired the live/brown into the L (permanent live) connection, the blue/neutral into the N (Neutral) connection and the green/yellow wire into L1 (switched live) connrection.
Then remove the Green&Yellow wire from L1 and terminate in a connector and position out of the way.

Inside this, I've wired the L1 switched live (green/yellow cable) into the COM with it exiting via the L1 connection while the L & N cables just pass through the architrave innards without a break.
Then remove the Green&Yellow and reconnect it to the other piece of Green&Yellow conductor.

Within the mains plug, I've then twisted both the live cables together so that they go onto the L pin with the neutral of course going onto the N pin.
Then remove the bare conductor, sleeve Green&Yellow and put it in the Earth pin terminal.

Rewire with 3core&earth.

Sponsored Links
Unplug it and get an electrician

To connect the earth wire ( thats the green and yellow ) to Live is dangerous and could be fatal if someone else was to work on the fan.

Or get three core plus earth and ensure the earth wire is connected to a working earth.

Thanks for your reply. I should explained in my original message :( : The fan itself is double insulated and according to the manufacturer does not require an earth connection. That's why I used what was the earth wire for the switched live.

Appears to be wired correctly.

As you can tell people don't like you using the green/yellow as a live.
If you do, you should put red or brown sleeve or tape on the wire.

The common problem is having the live wires around the wrong way at the fan.

Appears to be wired correctly.

As you can tell people don't like you using the green/yellow as a live.
If you do, you should put red or brown sleeve or tape on the wire.

The common problem is having the live wires around the wrong way at the fan.

Very many thanks for your measured comment and advice :). I was sure that I had the three wires in their specified connections in the fan. However, I checked again and discovered that the diagram I had been looking at in fact showed the rear rather than the front of the block!:(. I've now rewired correctly and the fan is working perfectly in all respects.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back