How to connect LED garden lights to a 12V supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How should LED garden lights be connected to a 12V supply? I need to connect these lights to a power supply. The details of the product on the website say that they operate at 12V, so I planned to connect them in parallel across a 12V power supply. (They are replacing some damaged plastic Wickes lights that use 12V filament bulbs) No further information or instructions came with the product. However, some LED lights stipulate that they should be wired in series. Like these.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
How should LED garden lights be connected to a 12V supply? I need to connect these lights to a power supply.
OK - first of all, those lights.

My advice would be to never, ever, buy anything electrical on eBay which is shipped from China, as you've got no idea whether it complies with the appropriate standards, and they do look rather cheap and nasty. If you really must buy something C&N, at least buy it from a UK seller (a proper one) so that when it breaks you can return it and get your money back.

Also, note what they say about import duties and taxes - not only will you have to pay those but the shipping agent might charge you a fee for collecting them, and all of a sudden the lights aren't cheap and nasty, just plain old nasty.

The details of the product on the website say that they operate at 12V, so I planned to connect them in parallel across a 12V power supply.
They say 12V AC - you need to know what they mean regarding frequency and waveform.

No further information or instructions came with the product.
"Came with".

Just realised you've already bought them.

Good luck.

However, some LED lights stipulate that they should be wired in series. Like these.
Some do, but they use constant-current drivers. If the spec is for a supply of a certain voltage the won't be that sort and you will connect them in parallel.

Also you should be aware that you'll need to apply for Building Regulations approval before you install them.

Thanks jj4091 & B-A-S

jj4091 I was really just asking about the method of connection (ie serial or parallel) because the lights they are replacing already have connectors and will use the same. However as you state, they are now wired in parallel and seem to be working. The remaining filament lamps on the same circuit are still at their normal brightness, so they have not short circuited the circuit.

B-A-S I take your point about the lights, I admit to similar thinking. However, they look good in reality and appear to be of cast metal (I will wait & see if they go rusty in a week or two) and are physically stronger that the original plastic lights which I purchased in the UK and cost considerably more. The problem is Mrs Stem keeps standing on two of them when weeding so I needed something more robust. At under a tenner each including postage I figured there wasn't much to loose. (UK sourced LED lights with similar outputs were between £40 & £120 each)

I emailed the seller asking if they should be connected in serial or parallel and they replied as follows:

Dear customer
Hello

Specifications:
Voltage: 12V AC
Power: 3W
Light Output: 315 Lumin

Best wish
Vikky

Which didn't help much! So I did a straight swap for two of the original lights and they work fine in parallel. I reckon they are as bright as a 20W halogen lamp.

Regarding notification of the Building Regulations they are direct replacements so exempt I believe.

Building regulations for SELV is a joke! I've just realised I need to get on to building control ASAP. My son wants to plug in the 12V transformer for his train set in the kitchen! :D

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back