HPS Bulb with internal ignitor in normal bayonet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a question out of curiosity, what would happen if you put a high pressure sodium bulb with a built in ignitor into a normal light socket with no ballast?

Sponsored Links
Theres nothing to limit the current flow so you would blow the filament and the lamp could possibly explode

A 70w son ballast limits the current to 1 amp to the lamp

That's what i was wondering, would the lamp ignite and if so would it fail catastrophically when it could not handle the current it was trying to draw.

What voltage to HPS ballasts normally put out when the lamp is fully warmed up?

Theres nothing to limit the current flow so you would blow the filament and the lamp could possibly explode

A 70w son ballast limits the current to 1 amp to the lamp

What filament? There isn't a filament in a discharge lamp like a SON!

Philips datasheet quotes 90V & 0.98A for a warmed up 70W SON lamp.

If you put the lamp in a normal fitting ie. without a ballast you tend to get a brief flash in the arc tube and then ....nothing! However it is possible that the arctube could shatter & cause the outer glass to explode so I wouldn't recommend you try it! If you really wanna see what can happen... google photonicinduction and see his Youtube pages .... that guy is mad!

There used to be a self ballasted mercury lamp available that ran in a normal BC lampholder and used an internal tungsten filament lamp as a crude ballast. Philips and a few others made these in the 70s & 80's. I think I may even still have one.... somewhere.

Sponsored Links
It blow the fuse. My wife routed through my garage looking for bulbs lucky only a blown fuse there were also loads of 110 volt bulbs there so could have been worse. Good reason for 3A fuse in standard and table lamps.

It won't do anything.

The bulb won't strike because it relies on the inductive ballast in combination with the ignitor to generate a high enough voltage to ionise the gas. Without the inductor, there's no storage of energy to boost the voltage any higher than the peak of the AC waveform.

The ignitor will light up till the contacts switch and then it will be in a dead short across the supply, it'll probably blow the lighting circuit protection and will kill the starter in the lamp as it isn't made to take that amount of current, probably in short circuit so it is bin fodder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back