Installing new light in Kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of (trying!) to do up the kitchen. I've bought a new set of lights to update the old ones. Now, in the past I've easily replaced old lights for new without any problems...just swapping the wires over, like for like. I'm a bit stumped with the kitchen light though as it looks a lot more complicated (to me anyway!) and I'm not entirely sure of how all the wires are to be connected.
The first photo is the current light fitting wired in.
The second photo is the new light fitting that I wish to install.
I know that the red wires are live, the black is neutral and the green/yellow one is earth. But I'm confused by the extra yellow wire...and where do I connect it to in the new light fitting, it says nothing about extra yellow wires in the installation instructions!!
Obviously I realise it would be a lot easier to just get an electrician in to do it, but thought I would ask for advice on how to do it myself first.
Thanks! View media item 55359 View media item 55360

Sponsored Links
You simply connect the new lamp wires to the same as the old.

N to Black and blue
L to Yellow - it should be sleeved with red to signify it is the switched live
E to Green and Yellow
Put the Reds in the spare connector on their own.

Wires can be anything we want them to be. They do not know what colour they are.

Thanks for the advice EFLImpudence!
I'll give it a go. The yellow wire on its own really confused me for a while there, but you've cleared it up for me! Just out of interest what are the red wires for??

Sponsored Links
One will be the 240V live supply and the other will go to the switch, returning through the yellow when the switch is turned on.

It is a bit unusual to use a three-core Red/Yellow/Blue so it is not clear what the purpose of the blue is.
It appears it is connected with the neutral (black).

Good news..changed the kitchen lights over without any problems! Thanks again for the advice...much appreciated!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back