Intermediate light switch problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3 light switches to operate my lights, but im having problems when some switches are in certain positions either the lights are locked on or off unless the last two way switch is turned in the opposite position

I have checked all the wiring against the wiki and it all is perfect, and all the switches are correct (intermediate and two way switches used in the right places)

Is it possible that one light switch is damaged as all connections have been checked and are ok.

Sponsored Links
Are you saying that only the last 2-way switch actually does anything?

Please fill in the blanks:

[code:1]2-way #1 Inter 2-way #2 Light

UP UP UP _____

UP UP DOWN _____

UP DOWN UP _____

UP DOWN DOWN _____

DOWN UP UP _____

DOWN UP DOWN _____

DOWN DOWN UP _____

DOWN DOWN DOWN _____

[/code:1]

A damaged switch would certainly effect the operation of the switches.

Is the wiring new? Could there be any strange joints anywhere?

Can you send pictures?

Can you get one of the switches in a certain position so the others work?

Switches can be damaged so they don't work properly, even new ones.

Sponsored Links
And older copper/pvc insulated cables can be liable to the copper conductor breaking at or near the switch.

Replaced three switches the other day and there were broken conductors at two of the switches.

Turn the power off before poking your hands inside switch boxes!

Thanks everybody for your replys?

I will try new switches first because as far as im aware nothing has been touched.

Thanks for your replys everybody I have now replaced all the switches and still have the same problem. The faceplates are so dont want to take them off to take potos unless totally necesary. I have completed the table as requested I hope somebody can help

2-way #1 Inter 2-way #2 Light

UP UP UP on

UP UP DOWN off

UP DOWN UP on

UP DOWN DOWN on

DOWN UP UP off

DOWN UP DOWN on

DOWN DOWN UP on

DOWN DOWN DOWN on

I have now replaced all the switches and still have the same problem. The faceplates are so dont want to take them off to take potos unless totally necesary. I have completed the table as requested I hope somebody can help

If you have changed the switches, why are you not helping us to help you by posting pictures of the switches and the connections made.

We are only as good as the information supplied and you appear to think that we can resolve the problem via clairvontcey :rolleyes:

2-way #1 Inter 2-way #2 Light

UP UP UP on

UP UP DOWN off

UP DOWN UP on

UP DOWN DOWN on

DOWN UP UP off

DOWN UP DOWN on

DOWN DOWN UP on

DOWN DOWN DOWN on

If DOWN UP DOWN is on then DOWN DOWN DOWN should be off
If UP DOWN UP is on then DOWN DOWN UP should be off
If UP DOWN DOWN is on then DOWN DOWN DOWN should be off

Suggests problem between SW1 and intermediate.
First checks would be continuity of wires, correct connections and faulty (stuck) switches - can you try another switch on SW1? (If you've no spare then swopping SW1 with SW2 will confirm whether it is SW1 being naughty).

thanks for your quick response viewer!

I have switched the number 1 and 2 (2 way) switches and still ge the same results although i expected this as they were new switches.

I have checked continuity wih my multimeter, between each wire going from each switch and found a break in the red going from switch 1 to intermediate but I am still have the same problem as described above

I have checked each switch individually with a multimeter the two way switches have continuity between common and l1 then when switched they have continuity between l2 and common, the intermediate has continuity between l1&l1 and l2&l2 then when switched it has continuity between l2 and l1 so all appears to be ok.

I am absolutely baffled by this one because everything appears to be fine. I have attached photos of all switches so you can sea if i've missed something simple.

This is the itermediate switch and the yellow common wire can just about be seen in the ceramic choc block

This one is the second 2way switch with a separate lighting circuit on the bottom that is not related to the problem lights

I don't suppose the reds in the last picture have been mixed up?

Make sure the RED is from the same cable as the blue and yellow...just a thought.

This is wrong:
This is the itermediate switch and the yellow common wire can just about be seen in the ceramic choc block

The correct way is for red & blue from one cable to connect to the two terminals on the left in the picture, and the red & blue from the other cable to the terminals on the right.

Thanks flameport it all works perfectly now!!!!

According to the labels on the terminals on the switch it was correct (i suppose I miss-understood them) Thanks everybody for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back