main earth bonding to water and gas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The main earth bond (installed in 1970) to my cu is connected to the incoming water main underneath a bedroom floor at the point of entry. It is not accessible or visible. The earth wire is stranded (6mm i suspect). I would like to upgrade it to 10mm in line with 17th. If i connect it close to the stopcock, the cable will need to be run an extra 10 mtrs.
Can I connect it under the floor as is the original?

My gas meter is external and the gas pipe now runs along the outside of the bungalow and splits to go in two different directions, the split being external. Presently it has no main bonding, only supplementary bonding in the kitchen. I could run a 10mm cable from the cu to the external meter and put the earth connector in the meter cupboard. Would that be acceptable?

note. 10mm cable would meet the requirements, re run length and
16mm tails with 60 a main fuse

Sponsored Links
the connection, in my case, cannot be within 600mm of entering the building AND accesible. It would need to be one or the other.
Is the key word in the regulations 'should' rather than 'must'?

Sponsored Links
the connection, in my case, cannot be within 600mm of entering the building AND accesible. It would need to be one or the other.
Is the key word in the regulations 'should' rather than 'must'?
Indeed it is. In fact the literal wording of the regs talks about "where practicable" ....
"The main equipotential bonding connection to any gas, water or other service shall be made as near as practicable to the point of entry of that service into the premises ... the connection should be made to the consumer's hard metal pipework and before any branch pipework. Where practicable the connection shall be made within 600 mm of the meter outlet union or at the point of entry to the building if the meter is external."
I would personally be inclined to go for the point closest to entry which is accessible, even if that is appreciably greater than the 600 mm - but others might disagree. If it were 'impracticable' to bond in an accessible place prior to a branch, I would be inclined to bond both of the branches where they first became accessible - but, again, others might disagree.

Kind Regards, John.

The main earth bond (installed in 1970) to my cu is connected to the incoming water main underneath a bedroom floor at the point of entry.

I hope by "main earth bond...to my cu", you don't mean that the earthing connection to the installation is via the water pipe?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back