New light fittings in lounge - won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just replaced the old light fittings in the lounge which are 2 separate fittings powered by a single dimmer switch.

Light fitting 1 contained a ceiling rose and I located the switch (black) cable and wired that to one terminal. The other two black cables I wired to the other terminal in the lighting block. The red wires I joined together and terminated in a terminal block.

This light appears to work fine.

Light fitting 2 was a single wire with a black, red and earth cable which I wired to the corresponding fittings in the new lighting block.

When I turned the mains back on light 1 appears to function perfectly but light 2 remains on even when the light switch is turned off.

Any ideas what may have gone wrong here?

Sponsored Links
one of those other cables will be a switch line and neutral not live and neutral therefore you need to bell out which one it its (althought this maybe out of your scope) and in the first light connect the red of it in with the other switch line.

one of those other cables will be a switch line and neutral not live and neutral therefore you need to bell out which one it its (althought this maybe out of your scope) and in the first light connect the red of it in with the other switch line.
That's the wrong way round.

One of the reds in the first rose will be the line to the second rose.

You need to determine which it is and move it to the switched live terminal.

I.e. at the first rose connect the cable which goes to the second rose to the same terminals as the first lamp.

Is there a difference?

Surely you mean line and neutral!

Sponsored Links

I.e. at the first rose connect the cable which goes to the second rose to the same terminals as the first lamp.

ok, got that. So I need to move the correct red wire and wire it to the terminal with the single switched black wire?

Thats what i have said!!!
Isnt it?
Thats what i meant!! :LOL:
Amazingly vibro for once had no problem with it but now you mention it he willl find something!!

Is there a difference?

Surely you mean line and neutral!

Vibro/elrobbo/elrobbo82/alovecollege/etc etc your boring and petty he and everyone else knows what i meant.

EFLImpudance didn't did he!

It's amazing how your allowed to pull me on everything I say yet you don't seem to like it do you.

Also what you write on the forum is what you are saying you can't expect people to "know what you meant" when that is not what you have written!

Ahh i see now :LOL: :LOL: i couldnt for the life of see what i had confused about!!
Your quite right vibro/elrobbo/elrobbo82/alovecollege/godfatherspark and EFLImpedance apologies.

Just to be clear - light 1 is your primary light and is activated by the switch. Light 2 requires light 1 to be energised before it will operate.
As EFL said, you need to find out which of the red cables in light 1 ceiling rose belongs to light 2 and then put that into your switched live (black cable you have already identified).

ok, got that. So I need to move the correct red wire and wire it to the terminal with the single switched black wire?

That's correct as the switch line is powering both lights.

I've tried each red wire in turn with the following results:

Red wire from "switch" cable - light 2 permanently on.
Red wire from "middle" cable - light 1 permanently on.
Red wire from Cable "3" - no power to anything.

:?:

I can apologise you know i dont mind when i know im confusing or wrong!!
Try it sometime.

Red wire from "switch" cable - light 2 permanently on. That's the live to the swich.
Red wire from "middle" cable - light 1 permanently on. That must be the live supply.
Red wire from Cable "3" - no power to anything. It must be this one, then.

you are putting it in with the switched live, aren't you? Not instead of.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back