Replacement Relay for HW Immersion, Solid fuel CH.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a very noisy Crabtree relay to replace which is apparently over 20yrs old and discontinued.
The relay is activated by a modern Horstmann programmer, whenever HW is selected. A single cable from the programmer trips the relay and provides supply to the immersion via a completley seperate spur from the fuse box.

The question is what do I replace it with, can't seem to find anything like it anywhere on the internet, yet there must be many similar set-ups out there.

The immersion is 3kw, any info appreciated..

Sponsored Links
There are 100's of contactors and relays which would electrical do the job but I would guess it is in some enclosure and without knowing the physical constraints it is near impossible to advise. It may for example be using a valve base or other common relay base which will allow a simple plug in replacement.

Picture may help.

Might be worth thinking about the whole system. New immersion heaters have a cut out which needs manually resetting once the preset temperature is exceeded. With solid fuel this can easily be exceeded as there is limited temperature control. Would be a shame to spend on a noisy relay only to find that next year you need a new immersion element.

Sponsored Links
Thank you all for your replies.

Here are some pics, Crabtree T6 relay. contacts 4NO 4NC contact code B

Ue 415v IE 6amp

The Immersion is only a year old works fine, programmer is brand new.
Basically I need a replacement that a fool could rewire, I can see where everything goes on this old one, but the new ones don't seem to have enough connection points for 6 wires, and presumably all the earths are joined together as in this one.

DSC01052.jpg

DSC01055.jpg

DSC01053.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back