Replacing heating element on towel radiator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I have a new(ish) towel rad and the heating element is gone (have checked and live wire is live, rad is receiving elec, and all wiring is correct, so it must be the element). So I need to replace the element.

The element is at the bottom right of the rad, so vertical and the access point is at the bottom of the radiator (so its pointing downwards).

Anyone know how best to replace this? are these the right steps?:

1. Turn off mains water
2. Turn off electricity
3. Bleed radiator, so rad doesn't empty when heating element is pulled out
4. Disconnect wiring from rad heating element
5. Take out heating element ouot of rad
6. Connect wiring to new heating element
7. Replace new heating element into rad
8. Turn electricity back on
9. Turn mains water back on

Is this right? Do I have to turn off the water mains (step 1)?
Do I have to bleed radiator (step 3) to replace the element or can this stage be skipped?
Do I need to bleed the radiator once the water mains is back on to get any air pockets out (i.e. after step 9)?

Perhaps the above is completely wrong!?!

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks

Cofty

Sponsored Links
I would not connect the cables until the heating element was fitted, also apply some PTFE tape around the element thread prior to fitting.
Yes once you have filled the system back up bleed them.
It would be a good idea to close all the radiator valves on the whole system prior to removal of rail, this will keep the draining and refilling of system down to a minimum.
I guess it's a water filled system?

Normally, if you turn off both of the radiator valves and slowly unscrew one of the connections to the rad. you can drain the rad. into a container.

You may be able to drain it by undoing the element carefully.

It is not then necessary to do anything to the rest of the system.

When finished open the valves then let the air out of the top (bleeding).

Thanks Dum Spiro Spero. Interesting advice and very useful.

Yes its water filled.

I assume you suggest turning all valves off so the whole system doesn't empty when I bleed the rad? However, if the bathroom rad is upstairs, amd the mains water is turned off, they'd be no pressure coming through so when I bleed it from its bottom, it would just bleed the rad....no? Your advice is a really good point, I just want to check I've understood it right.

Also, why not connect to the sparks to the element until after the element is fitted?

Thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks EFLImpudence!

Sorry, not sure what you by "turn off both of the radiator valves" - I think there is only one, does that sound right?
Agree it can go into a container, just a bit worried about the whole system pouring everywhere if I leave the mains on?

Cheers

"turn off both of the radiator valves" - I think there is only one, does that sound right?
There should be two.
There is one you can turn off and on.
On the other side will be the same but with a 'dummy' cap.
Remove the dummy cap - just pull it off, probably a bit tight - underneath will be a normal valve. Either take off the first valve top and use that or just use a pair of pliers to turn it off.

Once both are turned off no water will come out of the pipes.
The only water that will drain when you undo the element will be what is in the radiator.

Just undo the element a little bit and let the water dribble out. It'll take a while but save a lot of bother.

Do you have a combi-boiler ?

The radiator should have two valves.
Turn both off and then undo the bleed valve at the top of the radiator.
Then slowly undo the element thus draining the rad (you'll need a bucket to catch the water).

I would be surprised if there is only one valve. If there is only one then you will have to drain the whole system.

EFLImpudence - thanks again. Sound logic. I haven't checked the valves yet, but not turning off the mains would be a better option, without a doubt.
Yes, its a combo. Does that change things?

Taylortwocities - cheers to you too. You've said similar to EFLImpudence, who talks a lot of logic, but when someone else advises along the same, that gives me more confidence...

PrenticeBoyofDerry (or anyone else) - why do you say not to connect the cables until the heating element was fitted?

Yes, its a combo. Does that change things?
Only that when you come to fill the radiator you will have to let water into the central heating system to maintain the pressure.

You will have a 'filling loop' somewhere. Either on the pipework or integral in the boiler.

PrenticeBoyofDerry (or anyone else) - why do you say not to connect the cables until the heating element was fitted?

Basically you'll only know what length the cable needs to be once the element is fitted. Also, connecting up is the last thing you do when mixing electricity and water.

Cheers guys. I really appreciate your help.

You'll probably read about me in the paper - Surrey man found dead with wet hands and static afro

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back