Solar panels vibration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I had solar panels installed and all the electrics are in the garage. We are being driven mad by the 'pings and twangs' that are vibrating through the house throughout the day and night. It's like a massive elastic band being twanged. We did get the installers out and the said that yes sometimes you will get the vibration noise and we should consider 'boxing in' and insulating the box if we don't get used to it. It is impossible to get used to it. Unfortunately my installers have now gone bust! Visitors are now refusing to stay overnight!!! Please help, what can I do and can I do it myself?

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they have been incorrectly installed,

Vibration is most likely due to wind getting between the panels and the roof. The space between roof and panels is most likely incorrect for the type and angle of the roof.

Twanging is probably the panels expanding and contracting between mounting fixed rigidy to the roof. Movement which was not allowed for when they were fitted. There should be some means to allow the panels to expand and contract without putting strain on the roof.

Best option would be to get a reputable company to look at them and take their advice on how to rectify the problems.

Thanks for your response. Would this cause the noise in the garage which is where the twanging seems to be coming from?

Thanks for your response. Would this cause the noise in the garage which is where the twanging seems to be coming from?
Only if the panels were mounted on the garage.

Twanging noises from electronic / electrical equipment suggest that something about the design and/or construction of the equipment is not the best.

Photos and data about the installation would help.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like inverter noise. Cheap inverter, although all inverts do make some noise (not usually at night!).

Boxing the inverter in is not a good idea, they need to ditch their heat.

Also look up the documentation from the quote and contract.

There is likely to be an insurance-backed guarantee on the work (to guard against the "installer gone bust" problem that you mention).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back