Wiring cooker hood into cooker circuit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello chaps,

I am installing a new electric oven, gas hob and cooker hood. I have taken a spur in 6mm already from the oven FCU flex outlet to another Fcu flex outlet for the igniter. Can I take another spur up to a FCU for a 3 amp cooker hood?

I understand that common domestic wiring practice is to take it from the ring main. However this would require a much more destructive approach to the stud wall it would be fixed to. It would save a lot of time, money and bother to simply take it up from the cooker feed. It would be well within tolerances electrically.

A bit about myself. I trained as spark many years ago (16th edition) and for twenty years have been a lighting technician in theatre and music. I work with electricity every day and consider myself competent and confident with electricity. However, it has been a good while since I did anything domestic so I'm unsure of common practice in that area these days.

Many thanks in advance.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Yes, that would be OK. Some would even say it's preferable since you could isolate the lot via the cooker switch.

It may not be necessary to use 6mm² for the spur. e.g. If your cooker circuit is 32A, then 2.5mm² would suffice, assuming the cooker hood FCU is less than 3m from the point of the spur. Same goes for the hob igniter FCU.

Thanks for the reply. I'm using 6mm as that is what the cooker circuit is wired with and I feel it would be good practice to maintain that system and keep any current rating changes visible so there are no surprises for anybody in future.

Thanks again. It means I can just fit the FCU and just drop the cable straight down, rather that pulling off the plasterboard, drilling the stud etc

Sponsored Links
Well certainly nothing wrong with using 6mm² if you like.
(Just a pig to connect 2 x 6mm² in FCU terminals in anything less than a 47mm back-box, and overkill for equipment which will be fused at 13A max. Just saying... ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back