wiring cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys...i fitted a cooker hood today in my kitchen..just need to wire it up..anyway, just a few questions...

the electrician who rewired the house left a 3A unswitched fused spur just above and to the right of the cooker hood. Having removed the face plate..i see 2 live wires, 2 neutral wires and 2 earths.....the power cord from cooker hood has only live and earth....The 2 live wires are connected to L (Load in)..there is a vacant L in terminal.... can connect the live wire from the hood cord to this terminal , or does it have to be with the other 2 live wires (Load in)........the same is for the 2 Neutral wires..there is also a vacnat Neutral terminal...can i connect the neutral from the hood power cord to this or does it have to go with the terminal where the 2 neutrals are connected?

also

can you buy a 3A fused spur that has larger connectors at the back ?, ie where the wires are connected....i really struggled to get the wires back into the terminals as they are really thick....lol,

How do run the power cord of the hood through the 3A fused spur ?...i was thinking of cutting out a small section of the face plate of the spur and feed the wire in through that...is that ok ?

cheers

cheers

Sponsored Links
I hope you meant that the power cord has 'live and neutral' - not just live and earth.

The FCU should already have a snap out slot for your cord and it should also have retaining clip to hold the cable.
If not then you need one of these or something similar.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-sw-fcu/13479

I am suprised there is no earth in the cord but in any case your live and neutral go to the live out (load) and neutral out(load) respectively.
Do not connect to the live in otherwise the it will bypass the fuse.

I hope you meant that the power cord has 'live and neutral' - not just live and earth.

The FCU should already have a snap out slot for your cord and it should also have retaining clip to hold the cable.
If not then you need one of these or something similar.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-13a-dp-sw-fcu/13479

I am suprised there is no earth in the cord but in any case your live and neutral go to the live out (load) and neutral out(load) respectively.
Do not connect to the live in otherwise the it will bypass the fuse.

lol...i meant power cord of hood has LIVE and NEUTRAL...ok, i see..live and neutral to....LIVE OUT (LOAD) and NEUTRAL OUT (LOAD)

.only other issue i have is trying to get 3 wires into a terminal....dont they have FCU that have larger terminals????????

Why three wires in a terminal?

From your description I ASSUME you will have two existing live wires in L IN (or FEED); and two existing neutral wires in N IN (or FEED).

Then the cooker hood live goes in L OUT (or LOAD); and the cooker hood neutral in N OUT (or LOAD).

Fit 3 amp fuse.

Sponsored Links
im getting different advice here.......one says connect to live out and neutral out....another says live in and neutral in???????????? as i removed the face plate...the two lives were connetcted to LOAD OUT....the two neutral were connected to the neutral terminal, i dont know if the neutral terminal was IN or OUT...will have a look in the morning...

The live and neutral on the cooker hood goes to the OUT or LOAD terminals.

The existing lives and neutrals should already be in the IN or FEED terminals.

..i see 2 live wires, 2 neutral wires and 2 earths.....
....The 2 live wires are connected to L (Load in)..there is a vacant L in terminal....
can connect the live wire from the hood cord to this terminal , or does it have to be with the other 2 live wires (Load in).
The L on the in terminal stands for Live.

The out terminals will be Load.

ta guys...will have go at wiring it up tommorow

Sums it up really, doesn't it - hasn't got a clue, but will have a go tomorrow!

Fuse bypassed??
Reversed polarity??
Ring continuity broken?? (If spurred off RFC)

But he'll have a go tomorrow - it's a joke!

ta guys...will have go at wiring it up tommorow

Sums it up really, doesn't it - hasn't got a clue, but will have a go tomorrow!

Fuse bypassed??
Reversed polarity??
Ring continuity broken?? (If spurred off RFC)

But he'll have a go tomorrow - it's a joke!
...i can do it trust me...if i can install a complete kitchen, do all the plumbing i think im quiet capable....just wanna make sure

Just the one problem with your statement, Goofy,

This...........

......i can do it trust me...if i can install a complete kitchen, do all the plumbing i think im quiet capable....just wanna make sure

........isn't likely to kill you if you get it wrong. :)

thats right kitchen, plumbing...didnt touch the electric side of it though....ill post a reply once ive done, ill even take a picture of it....and post it here...LOL :LOL:

There seems to be something about electrical work which causes people to abandon all reason, and even though they know they don't have a clue they don't see that that should in any way be a reason not to just plunge in and have a go.

We see them here all the time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back