Bottom Stair Newel Post too Short to Extend

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
New to the forum so be kind! :)

I'm looking to re-instate the Bannister/spindles etc on my property, but i have the following problem. The previous owner has cut the original Lower Newel Post, and i believe it now does not have enough clearance above the where the string is secured onto it, to allow me to attached a new bottom newel post via the usual Newel extension posts. It seems to have a Newel cap on also which makes the actual post even smaller (well, only just!)
I'm not sure if i have enough clearance to do any type of mortise/tenon joint because from what i can glean from other forum entries, i would need approx 100mm. I have attached some pictures and on one of them you can see the stair line carried onto the post in pen. This centre mark is approx 100m but this is lower than the fixing point of the string to the Newel, so would compromise this joint.
Apart from removing the Newel, which i can envisage would be quite a complicated procedure, are there any other offerings that may enable me to end up with the desired effect?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice offered.

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks.
Just a few more details.
Drawing a line from the top of the string down across the newel and then marking the centre spot, gives me 85mm to the top of the uncapped post.
I'm trying to work out, if
a: i have enough depth with 85mm to drill the hole required to host the new newel post. The online specs seem to give the depth of the dowel as 80mm, cutting it fine but it might be ok.
b: I need to achieve approx 900mm height from the string to the top of the balustrade. I have 85mm and all the newels i've seen are approx 725mm, so that leaves me way short.

If i can drill and attach, is the best way to go being that i buy an ordinary newel post and cut if down to the required length (including the dowel section) and have it turned to produce the right dowel length/diameter? This way i end up with a newel post the correct length to give me the balustrade at the correct height.
Does this make any sense?

Thanks

Me again!
Just trying to work things out in my head.

I reckon the following:

I have 100mm from the stair line to the top of the existing Newel stump.
I need 900mm from the stair line to the top of the handrail attached to the complete newel.

If i get a 910mm Newel (not including the 80mm dowel), The handrail bracket hole in the Newel will place the top of the handrail approx 110mm from the top of the Newel.
So, that leaves me with 800mm to the top of my newel stump and with this being 100mm above the stair line, that gives me 900mm from stair line to handrail top.

I know it sounds like the ramblings of a mad man, but do you think this sounds about right?

Thanks again in advance.

Sponsored Links
Just a minute I'm feeling a bit dizzy now :D

It does seem to work out OK as far as I can see, mind you once you have the post it will be simpler to offer up and confirm, be worth just getting that first before you order eveything.

But I wonder should you trust my opinion?

I'm in the middle of changing some cupboards in the kitchen to cover some new pipework thought I had it all worked out fine on paper till I found the hinge plates will foul the new pipe by 15mm! Spent half the day trying to sort out some shorter hinges found some ideal ones from Blum but only seem to be available in the US! Still I think I have sussed it now with the help of someone that pointed me in the right direction.

Best laid plans and all that!

If you need a longer Newel it would be quite easy to remove the existing one (split it off a bit at a time) and fit a new one.

The stairs are probably sitting on the end of the string, if not just wedge the string up while you fit the new newel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back