floor levelled preparquet but is method used doomed to fail?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would be grateful for any comments/assistance re whether a well intentioned builder has levelled a floor in such a way as to ultimately doom me to failure re the plan to lay a parquet oak block floor.

One part of my house is concrete screeded but is approx 30mm lower than the main house's floor-boards. The builders original plan was to use 18mm chipboard over firrings and then lay the same 12mm wbp ply that is being used over the main house floorboards over that chipboard so as to have the same finished ply sub-floor over both parts of the house and at the same level. Well I came home today to find the 18mm chipboard idea had been ditched in favour of 20mm x 40mm battens spaced 150mm apart with the 12mm wbp ply screwed down on top. It seems ok as it feels solid underfoot with no real bounce, however Id be v grateful for anyones views. It seems as if the plys relative lack of thickness and strength is made up for by the relative narrowness of the battens spacing? Laying block parquet is for me a once only job and with a kitchen going on top I cant afford to have a noisy floor or blocks lifting/loosening after a year. However if it does the job then fine. What do people think (Karen, Matty etc etc please!)?

If the above seems ok to people then I have next to decide how to deal with some small raised sections of ply along a couple of battens which is causing a 2mm trough either side: sand those down or use a smoothing underlayment?

In any event I wish I had asked that he screeded it now (especially as Ive realised that F Ball do screeds that you can use up to 50mm and dry in hours). If I had of gone down that route (and I might still if the above is met with horror/strong resevation) would it have been NECESSARY to have plyed over that ie can you lay parquet over plyed out floorboards and then in the same room go straight onto screed with the block without probs ?

Thanks very much in advance for anyones input/help- :)

Sponsored Links
I can't speak for the basic strength etc of what work has been done, but it certainly would'nt be an issue to microcoat/featheredge the 'troughs' in the ply or indeed any other small defects in the ply level that you mention.

The floor is about 15-20 years old. Im not sure about the depth over the base- maybe 30-40mm deep. There is a DPM

Sponsored Links
no pm?

i had a vistor message that i replied to tho?

As for the construction of your floor, well cant say i would be happy with what has been done.

I would maybe look into glueing plywood to the subfloor. To use a smoothing compound you will need a lot but is a option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back