Floorboard replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone. First time on here.

I need to replace a length of floorboard which has split. The floorboard is original 1930's and the width (110mm) is not commercially available from Wickes etc.

I can get 94mm which would leave an 8mm gap each side. Would this be ok to fit as is or should I fill? The concern is overtime a dip would form in carpet that has been layed over the top.

To me the safest thing to do would be to fit pine slivers but am I just overcomplicating?

Obviously an alternative is try and get a reclaimed length with the same width but I'm not sure how reliable or long this would take?

Cheers
James

Sponsored Links
An 8mm gap will show in the carpet over time, and it will wear more along the gap.
As you said, the obvious course is to do it properly and find a wider board.

Hi everyone. First time on here.

I need to replace a length of floorboard which has split. The floorboard is original 1930's and the width (110mm) is not commercially available from Wickes etc.

I can get 94mm which would leave an 8mm gap each side. Would this be ok to fit as is or should I fill? The concern is overtime a dip would form in carpet that has been layed over the top.

To me the safest thing to do would be to fit pine slivers but am I just overcomplicating?

Obviously an alternative is try and get a reclaimed length with the same width but I'm not sure how reliable or long this would take?

Cheers
James

3 options come to mind:

1. Find a board the correct width.

2. Find a piece of planed timber that's wider than the gap, and get someone with a table saw to rip it to width (you'd have no tongue and groove then so it wouldn't be quite as solid)

3. Buy two lengths of floorboard, get someone with a table saw to rip each one to 55mm wide, then glue and clamp the strips together.

3, would work but is an act of desperation. If I couldn't manage 1. I'd probably go for 2.

You'll need to make sure that whatever board you buy is also the same thickness.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Another idea, if you can't get a board wide enough - mend the split board. Glue it together with PVA and clamp it tight for 24 hours.

Regards
Richard

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back