Installing reclaimed parquet flooring

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Was thinking about installing a reclaimed parquet floor onto a floor which is a traditional wooden suspended floor.

Given the age of the house, and i think the floor boards are mostly original, is this is suitable surface to glue the parquet blocks to?

Or should I be taking up the floorboards and replacing with 18mm ply to give a regular base for the parquet blocks?

Sponsored Links
I recently installed a reclaimed parquet floor acoss the ground floor of my 20s house and had the same issue. The floor boards were far too uneven to install a parquet floor over. I couldn't face ripping all the floorboards up and so I just laid plywood over the top. I could have used 12mm plywood but had a pallet of 18mm from another job. It does the job fine if you can deal with losing another half inch of height, but can make your skirting look out of proportion.

This is after 6 months of dog scratches and general wear:

P1020201.jpg

P1020202.jpg

Sponsored Links
Nice one nick.

All you have to do now is maintain is regularly with some suitable polish to keep it protected ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back