Moisture appearing on floorboards near fire hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Having had a new hearth fitted and about to get carpets put in I'm worried about the cause behind this water appearing through the floor boards. Basically I had to dig up the old concrete hearth and took a few bags of soil type stuff up and then refilled with broken bricks and sand with a new concrete base. Then the hearth was fitted a good few weeks after. That was about 3 months ago and now the carpets will be going in I noticed after shifting things out that the floorboards appear to be drawing water. My concern is that it's drawing from the ground due to the soil base I came across as I would assume it would have dried by now. Any help gratefully received. Thanks

Sponsored Links
i assume the floor boards are extremely dusty as the the differential looks extreme
concrete can take 6 months to dry out dependent on thickness

if there is a connection between the hearth and the ground you must have a dpm to stop moisture transference

if the floor is dusty please wash/mop it clean and take another picture

I agree with big-all.

In pic no 2 are the boards landing on a joist thats running parallel with the hearth (a trimmer)?

What is the black thing or stuff thats peeping out from under the hearth?

Sponsored Links
i assume the floor boards are extremely dusty as the the differential looks extreme
concrete can take 6 months to dry out dependent on thickness

Can take a a lot longer than that. 6 months is a average for a concrete subfloor that is approx 4" deep.

Concrete drying calculation is 1mm per day up to 50mm deep. Over 50mm deep it is 1/2mm per day .

This is calculated at a 55% rh moisture level and at 21c.

If the concrete has been covered up with a fireplace then it will takes years to dry. This also all depends on if you installed a dpm sheet under it.

As imple fix for this is to cut the concrete back and a barrier put in place between the floorboards and the concrete other wise they will soon be rotten.

to answer the questions
the black stuff I assume is the grout that the guy who fit the hearth used.
The boards do sit on a joist that runs across the front of the hearth right up to the base the hearth is sat on.
The concrete is aprox 2-3 inch thick and it appeared dry before the hearth was put down. Last night I sanded the area and cleaned it and these are the pics.

A couple of things:
the hearth should not sit on any wood, but if the hearth extends more than 300mm off the face of the c/breast then it should be safe if not strictly legal.

And, as above, the trimming joist should be masked from any masonry contact with a Membrane (DPM). Perhaps, you can slip some membrane in from above or below the floor. Lightly prise the T&G ends up to provide an access gap.

If, from below floor, you cant get a bit of membrane behind the joist to separate it from the masonry, then leave it - the joist will probably outlast your occupancy.

Traditionally, a wood "margin" to finish and cover the T&G was fixed around, and butted up to, the constructional hearth.

It looks like it will be an excellent bit of work when finished. Well done.

Hi

Thanks for the advice. The hearth is not sitting on top of any wood, it is sat on top of the concrete base which you can still see a couple of inches of before the floor boards butt up to it. It sounds like its just drying out and once that fire is going I am sure it will dry out quicker! I will do as you suggest and pride the floor board up and try and slide in a membrane hopefully in between the joist too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back