partition wall over floorboard that needs replacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having taken up laminate floor in the bathroom I want to replace the knackered floorboards with exposed reclaimed floor boards.

But... I've got a bit of an issue with a partition wall that sits over half a board.

Any advice on how to get around the fact that I cant remove this board but want to fit new boards throughout as the ones in place are beyond sanding and varnishing.

Is it just a case of cut it close to the wall and fit new board around it then skirting to cover join?

Diagram will make more sense:
View media item 54663

Sponsored Links
Could you re do the floor map showing the joist positions?

Cut the boards flush with the partion and fit a decent lump of wood to the side of the existing joist so the new reclaim boards are supported.

I'd question having open boards in a bathroom, how do you intend for bath / shower and pee pee water not to run between the gaps between boards causing damo, mould and rot issues?

Sponsored Links
Thanks chri5.

Has just occurred to me that i am actually taking the plaster board off the partition wall on the bathroom side to fit aquapanel so i may be able to unscrew the base timber from the board in question and then ease out the board and slide in new one.

The reclaimed boards I'm fitting will be squared up on the edges to should fit together with minimal gaps and also a coat or 2 of varnish will help to seal things up. Along with a couple of mats I dont forsee any damp/rot issues. (but time will tell no doubt :D )

Now considering an insulation layer while the boards are up. Kingspan??

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back