renovation/conversion - replace rotten timber joist or ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Site is a small village chapel 11x6m internal, solid walls.

I am costing work before decide if viable to buy for conversion, so can't poke too extensively yet!

Timber suspended floor over earth I am informed, and clear drop to one corner with damp, earth outside well over damp course and partly blocked airbrick.

Informed that some work done to add support to joists - with 'concrete blocks stood under them'.

Boards look good but assume it will all need to come up - those saved would like to put down again, but on what?

The new floor would have to support internal walls and mezzanine, the ground is clay, and of course current standards damp proof and insulation.

So what are my options? As renovation am already limited by the existing walls, and unlikely to be able to support onto walls - think floor just butts wall and then the timber half wall lining comes out over edge of floor.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are the internal walls stud partitions?

You have a timber wainscot? In what kind of wood? Is it panels or vertical T&G boards?

You appear to have some sub-floor space between the boards and the oversite earth?

What is your question(s)? Are you asking how to fix the supporting joists at the walls?

Are the internal walls stud partitions?

- These will be added in conversion - and may need to be load bearing for mezzanine

You have a timber wainscot? In what kind of wood? Is it panels or vertical T&G boards?

- Victorian vertical T&G to chairback height fixed to wall with batons to create breathing gap as tradition for build era and chapels especially - very stained over years unsure of wood but badly affected by wall damp. Walls will need drylining etc.

You appear to have some sub-floor space between the boards and the oversite earth?

- Yes there is a void but limited access and not very high crawl space.

What is your question(s)? Are you asking how to fix the supporting joists at the walls?

- I am hoping for thoughts and suggestions about either reinstating the timber floor by replacing joists vs another floor option such as beam and block, would that be stronger for new loads? Easier for insulation etc?

But is that even technically feasible in existing building?

I assume will need some cover for earth base in current regs. and may need new sleeper walls, and foundations for those and....

I have no experience just my research.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back