DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Thermoplastic tiles.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarkFish

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm Reply with quote

Our entire ground floor is concrete with thermoplastic tiles.

We want the lounge to have laminated floor and other areas tiled with ceramic tiles.

The thermoplastic tiles are in very good shape.

I understand that it is possible to tile over thermoplastic tiles with the right adhesive? Is that right?

I'm assuming that there's no problem putting laminate over thermoplastic tiles?

I'm still tempted to remove the thermoplastic tiles if for no other reason than to increase the roof height. icon_smile.gif

Is it hard to get thermoplastics up? What's the best technique? What tool should I use?

What's the asbestos situation with these tiles? There seems to be conflicting advice online.

So, should I bother removing them and why?

Any other comment?

Thanks muchly in advance.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
crazydaze

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 9:35 pm Reply with quote

If the tiles are in good condition, the laminate can definatly float over the top with no issues.

The tiles really should be uplifted in the other areas to allow for a more secure screeding of the subfloor and fitting of the new tiles.

Generally, a long handled scraper makes light work of thermoplastics, best to have a few good quality sharp blades to help. Usually the tiles lift very easily using this method, in large pieces with no excessive dust etc.
The following user says thank you to crazydaze for this useful post:
MarkFish (19 Nov 2011)
 Alert Moderators
MarkFish

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:43 am Reply with quote

crazydaze wrote:
If the tiles are in good condition, the laminate can definatly float over the top with no issues.

The tiles really should be uplifted in the other areas to allow for a more secure screeding of the subfloor and fitting of the new tiles.

Generally, a long handled scraper makes light work of thermoplastics, best to have a few good quality sharp blades to help. Usually the tiles lift very easily using this method, in large pieces with no excessive dust etc.

Thanks CD!
 Alert Moderators
MarkFish

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:46 am Reply with quote

crazydaze wrote:

Thanks again. I bought a long handled scraper but in the end I used a Garden Hoe and they came up a treat. They came up easily and frequently intact. Will return the scraper for a refund! icon_smile.gif

I know other people have terrible trouble with them, but this was as close as I've ever got to a five minute job! Bagging the tiles up took a little longer though! icon_wink.gif
 Alert Moderators
crazydaze

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 10:28 am Reply with quote

Glad all went well!
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Floors, Stairs and Lofts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: