Vinyl over slightly lifted laminate?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking at options here for a sorry tale.

We had an extension built with a concrete floor with screed laid and builder advised that it would be safe (and dry enough) to lay laminate on.

However after a month or so the laminate we laid started to buckle and lift circa 1mm around some of the edges. We have the fibreboard rectangular blocks under the laminate.

Of course skirting boards etc are were also put on the wall over the laminate to finish it off.

So although visitors dont tend to see that laminate floor we're looking at options.

Pulling up the laminate would mean taking the skirting off and probably damaging the plaster.

Oh the room is dry now...thankfully.

What options do we have please? Is vinyl laying over laminate a possibility - will it hide the slight lift?

Thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
Hi, how long did you wait for the concrete and screed to dry properly before laying the laminate? My guess is that the sub-floor has not been allowed to dry thoroughly. Also if laying on a concrete sub-floor you would also need a damp proof membrane before using the fibreboard underlay.

Hi, how long did you wait for the concrete and screed to dry properly before laying the laminate? My guess is that the sub-floor has not been allowed to dry thoroughly. Also if laying on a concrete sub-floor you would also need a damp proof membrane before using the fibreboard underlay.

It was last Oct and we waited maybe three weeks maximum after being assured it would be fine by the builder.

The screed is laid on top of the concrete and we were once again assured that no further DPM would be needeed as he had put one on place.

Clearly something has failed.

Anyway moving on...can we lay a good quality vinyl on top of this slightly lifted (lipped) laminate? If so do we need to be aware of anything for a great finish?

Thanks for replying and reading

I think 3 weeks is too short to lay the laminate in the extension. The rule of thumb is to allow about 1 month for every 1 inch thickness of concrete sub floor.

If there is no damp proof membrane between the concrete and the fibre board underlay, then the underlay would have soaked up the moisture. This could cause further problems if you lay vinyl flooring over the laminate if it hasn't been allowed to dry thoroughly.

Sponsored Links
I think 3 weeks is too short to lay the laminate in the extension. The rule of thumb is to allow about 1 month for every 1 inch thickness of concrete sub floor.

If there is no damp proof membrane between the concrete and the fibre board underlay, then the underlay would have soaked up the moisture. This could cause further problems if you lay vinyl flooring over the laminate if it hasn't been allowed to dry thoroughly.

Fingers crossed I'll be ok now?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back