DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

decking tiles question

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
nickyotron

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:58 pm Reply with quote

Ive just bought 6 wood decking tiles for an area of garden ive levelled out, added weed fabric, and covered in gravel (roughly 20mm )
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fencing-paving-decking/decking/deck_tiles___frames/-specificproducttype-deck_tiles/B-and-Q-Square-Deck-Tile-L-600-W-600-T-56mm-9276085
now would i need to make a frame for these, or have them raised further? Or are they ok just to keep laid down?

btw the tiles are 600mm x 600mm x 42mm (not 58mm)
Im going to lay them 3 wide an 2 deep. Do i need to just frame them in all together with 42mm high boards, or raise them all on top of joists n bearers?
Im just really confused as to what else i need now. Any help much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
nickyotron

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote

any advice as to frame them, or raise them onto joists etc would be great icon_smile.gif
[img]
[/img]
 Alert Moderators
mikej2005

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote

Making a frame up would keep them off the floor to prevent them rotting and give you a better chance of getting them all flat and level, so worth doing IMO.

There are a number of ways you could do this, but using the rear wall as a mounting point for your frame would be a good place to start.

You could either build a frame separately and then screw it to the wall, or screw a baton to the wall and use joist hangers like this - http://www.builders-express.co.uk/documents/JOIST%20HANGERS.jpg - to construct your frame.

I'm not sure about the spacing - 2ft seems a bit too far apart to me, but your boards are effectively already mounted so you might get away with it, depending on which way round you mount your tiles. Perhaps an expert could advise on this ?

To support your frame at the front, you could attach it to 3 short lengths of (thicker) pressure-treated timber, mounted vertically and set in concrete.

I wonder how these decking tiles are supposed to be mounted ? By the time you've done what I suggested, you'd have probably been better off buying individual decking boards !

If all this sounds a bit OTT for your needs, then the other option would be to screw the tiles to four 6ft batons and rest the whole thing on your stones. This would at least ensure that the surface is flat, but won't give you the benefit of raising it up off the floor.
 Alert Moderators
nickyotron

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote

Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply. I kind of agree with you now im doing this, maybe starting off with boards would be better rather than decking tiles.

But, Ive bought them now lol.
I think maybe your 2nd idea will suit my skills more. Or lack of...
Build the frame an rest it on the bricks at evenly spaced points throughout.

Ive since had a good email from B&Q who have drawn up some small plans to show me what they mean. But their idea involves 'post-crete' cementing small posts. I really dont think im that skilled :\

But again thankyou for stopping by and helping me Mike.
icon_biggrin.gif
 Alert Moderators
BigRobCanUFixIt

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote

did you lay a membrane to stop things growing through the gaps?
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > In the Garden All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: