Moving an Ivy plant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an Ivy plant growing at the front of my house (blue door in the pic) and the roots are right where I need to dig the footings for a new porch. The Ivy grows up the neighbours house and they are quite partial to it. Is there any way of moving and replanting it? I'd like to keep the neighbours happy as we have to live next to each other.

Would Ivy go into a big plant pot? The best solution would be to put it in a pot and stick it on the neighbours drive.

Cheers...

Sponsored Links
Ivy is horrible but fast growing. It will have to go into the ground. If they want it, tell them to dig a hole in their paving for it. Next to their front door would do.

It will be hard work so they probably won't

Thanks for the quick reply John. If a hole is made available for the ivy on their side, how on earth does one move it?

you'll have to cut off as much of the stem as you can, and tack it to the wall until it grows new feet. The old leaves, above your cut, will slowly die, but unless in hot sun, this can take months. It is difficult to pull off until it is dead.

Sponsored Links
You know it's going to look horrible until it regrows to the same coverage? When you sever the stems to dig it up, all of the top growth will die. You can pull it all off - as John says it's a diffilcut job, or you can wait for it to die and dry out and then pull it off. Either way, it leaves a mess on the wall that will be visible until the plant covers it again. How far does the rootball need to be moved? If it's only a short distance, I'm wondering if you can avoid cutting most of the stems and just gently loosen enough of them from the wall to give you a bit of slack to reposition the rootball.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back