petrol flymo lawnmower problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone help??
My lawnmower starts but then cuts out. Need to prime and hold for it to continue but cannot cut grass while holding onto prime button!!
Fuel at a good level, cleaned plug, spark ok. Does anyone think it is a carburettor problem or fuel etc?? It started for a couple of minutes after a few weeks in shed and then this problem kept occurring :confused:

Sponsored Links
Almost certainly a carburettor problem....as per one of my previous posts, a compressed air line and a can of aerosol carb cleaner is what you need.
Flymo have used many different engines and carbs on their machines and a picture of the carb could help us a bit.
If the machine is a hover type, the carb could easily be a Zama or a Tillotson.....if the machine is a rotary mower it could easily be Briggs and Stratton. Can you give us more info?
John :)

Orange plastic deck, black painted Briggs and Stratton engine?
Between the carburettor and the petrol tank there is a gasket that prevents fuel leaking and also pumps fuel up to the carburettor......notorious for failure!
I usually buy these in 10 packs, they give so much aggro.

Sponsored Links
is it attached to the carbuertta or is is in the fuel tank as there is a square filter visble when you fill up the fuel in the tank or is it in between the flexi fuel supply hose ?? ta

Things are getting a little clearer......
So, your machine has a plastic fuel tank with a hose leading to the carburettor?
Ok, forget about my diaphragm comment, thats not applicable to this type.
It sounds like a Briggs engine. If the carb has a round float bowl.....unscrew the 10mm nut at its base (fuel will run out so tip the machine back on its handles) and see if there is any debris in the float bowl. The chances are the carb will have to come off to be stripped and cleaned anyway.

Orange plastic deck, black painted Briggs and Stratton engine?
Between the carburettor and the petrol tank there is a gasket that prevents fuel leaking and also pumps fuel up to the carburettor......notorious for failure!
I usually buy these in 10 packs, they give so much aggro.

I've got one of these with a similar problem; a quantum xte 12 series. It needs easy start to get going and then constant priming to make it run until it's properly warmed up then it'll run lumpy but ok. I've got a carb service kit for it - it's getting stripped and cleaned :)

Ihave took off carb primer n over flow chamber n cleaned put back on but no change so i need to drain petrol n clean n strip carb ill let u know on my progress n result.thanks.

The big problem with mowers etc is that the drillings in the carb and jets are so small, that they easily block with debris - that often finds its way in there via dirty fuel cans.....
Using the primer bulb only pumps raw fuel direct into the venturi of the carb - thats why it keeps running - but if any jet is even slightly blocked the engine induction isn't strong enough to draw the juice in.
Hence the need for compressed air and carb cleaner when maintenance is needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back