retaining wall options / prices to high

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks getting started on the garden and one of the things we need to do is get the retaining wall sorted out.

the all is approx 30 meters long, 2.4 meters at the highest point in the centre coming down to 1.8 meters at each end. the wall has to support the whole of the lawn behind which goes back some 15 meters to the house.

Ok here is my problem i have been quoted sill money for having this wall built close to 10K for a staggered block wall with standard brick face.

They are saying the foundation need to be1400 wide by 600 deep and at the base the blocks need to about 700 wide and the top 100 plus the facing bricks. they have said it will need about 4000 blocks plus the brick face hence the price.

can anyone give me a cheaper option as we simply cannot afford this

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
You said 'the wall is' which made us believe that it already exists. Perhaps saying 'the wall will be' would have been clearer.

This is a massive wall with a lot of brick so I don't think it will be cheap!

Sponsored Links
sorry was not clear but i think you may have miss read the post as it does not say "the wall is"

cheers anyway

jon

i think you may have miss read the post as it does not say "the wall is"

Oh yes it does, although you misstyped wall "the all is approx 30 meters long"

I asked because it sounded like you had one already and maybe working with that would have been cheaper.

Since you don't, perhaps you can elaborate on your plans, are you excavating, building up an area etc?

point taken, great when you have dyslexic fingers

The wall is to go round the bottom and one side of garden so we can level the lawn as it current has slope to support sloping the lawn which we want to level, however this eats into the limited garden by about 3 meters which we want to use for lawn space.

retaining wall highlighted in blue

View media item 48766
one option i have thought of is gabions with the bottom one being half buried under the lawn. then another 1 meter one on top.

cheers jon

the gabion option will probably be cheaper assuming it doesn;t border a road or pavement.

Get an SE to spec the wall it will cost you maybe 300 quid but then a builder can simply build it as per design without putting a massive 'to be sure' tax on top of the price.

Thats a serious height of wall and needs designed anyway.

The other way to do it rather than enormous ammounts of block work is to have a nice wide footing about 1500 with L shaped re-bar in it with the long end of the L sticking out the top. Then build 9 inch blockwork on both sides of it to form a 6 inch cavity which you fill with mesh then concrete.

That is just for description and not in anyway suggesting those figures and method is suitable for you

like the L re bar idea may use that, many thanks for your help

cheers

jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back