sleeper retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
looking to build a 15m sleeper retaining wall about 1m high i will be using 200mm x 100mm 2.4m posts , and joining together 5 to make the 1m up with 1 post every 2.4m sunk in the ground to support them and then bolted together with timberlock screws .

is postcrete strong enough to support the vertical posts ? or does it need actual concrete ?

Sponsored Links
1 post every 2.4m is far too little support.

The other problem is fixing them. If you use 2.4 centres and you stagger the joints you would end up in a situation where a joint falls in no mans land halfway between posts.

Set them at 1.2m intervals assuming your sleepers are 2.4's.

I would use concrete.

cheers

this part of the garden is actually stepped, the main bulk of earth is being held back by a 1m concrete block and brick wall 9inch , i am looking to soften the slope up to the grassed area by putting some tiered flower beds in , so the first level would be 60cm and the next 40cm

do you think something like this would be sufficient ?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Machined-...DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item3f229934c9#shId

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I staggered mine so they where like large bricks, widest side down and bolted at 600mm Centers. The bottom ones a drilled through in 3 places and used 12mm rebar through the holes 1meter into the ground, I levelled the bottom ones by sitting them on a very dry concrete mix.

At the back i filled the gap with some gravel to allow water to pass through.

Hope this helps

Sponsored Links
Wood rots use bricks.

The modern so-called sleepers are especially vulnerable as they are not impregnated like proper railway sleepers.

We are seeing 75-90% through rot on sleepers less than 10yrs old.

Wood rots use bricks.

The modern so-called sleepers are especially vulnerable as they are not impregnated like proper railway sleepers.

We are seeing 75-90% through rot on sleepers less than 10yrs old.

already there too late :p the horizontal ones will not rot dpm sealed behind them
verticals might need to be replaced though eventually , no big deal stagger the replacements in turn and it should be alright.

the main structure is a 9" thick brick and concrete block wall that has just been built

i might use concrete repair spurs hidden at the back of the next sleeper wall

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back