Sovereign Lawnmower running too fast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We bought a secondhand lawnmower and it seems to run very fast and not sure how to adjust the engine speed we have taken a video of it running with also zooming in on various parts around the engine which can be seen.

Any advice on how to adjust it would be great before it takes off lol

Sponsored Links
This looks like a Tecumseh engine, and sometimes they are set to run at a constant high speed, but then releasing the handle lever stops the engine dead.....all intentional.
Does the throttle lever (left handlebar) have a tortoise and hare symbol?
John :)

Hi John

There is no throttle lever this is the self propelled sovereign xsz40 which I think has a self adjusting throttle or something ??. Thanks for any further advice :)

In which case, the mower running speed is factory set.
So long as you don't have to run behind the beast :p there's nowt to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply John, I did meddle with it a little as it was running very slow and cutting out and don't know what I have done as it is now running so much faster but no longer cuts out lol, just worried it sounds like it is running so quick and will damage the engine :(

The engine will be fine, as there is a governor to prevent over revving.
Just keep an eye on the oil level and all will be well.

I came across this old thread as I am trying to fix a friends Sovereign that has the same issue. The springs were set up as they were from the factory but the revs were way too high and I don't think it would run like that for too long. I have changed the springs to force it to run at a more sensible RPM but any advice on why the governor is not reducing the throttle once started would be appreciated.

The linkage all seems to move very freely and there is nothing obvious. It says on a sticker that it should run at 2900 RPM but it is revving way beyond this going by the sound of it.

If the engine is running flat out all of the time it is possible that the governor, inside the crankcase has stuck
open.
Does the arm sticking out of the crankcase fight you when the engine is running fast, or does it feel sloppy as if its not connected to anything?

If the engine is running flat out all of the time it is possible that the governor, inside the crankcase has stuck
open.
Does the arm sticking out of the crankcase fight you when the engine is running fast, or does it feel sloppy as if its not connected to anything?

I would say it feels sloppy, there is no resistance at all and like it is not connected.

Something not right there I’m afraid - stating the obvious!
Maybe the clamp at the lever end has been slackened at some time, and if it has its usually necessary to get inside the engine to check things and reset it.
Can you see if there are any ‘truth’ marks where the lever may have originally been....and is the pinch bolt slack by any chance?

Something not right there I’m afraid - stating the obvious!
Maybe the clamp at the lever end has been slackened at some time, and if it has its usually necessary to get inside the engine to check things and reset it.
Can you see if there are any ‘truth’ marks where the lever may have originally been....and is the pinch bolt slack by any chance?

I will have a look when I next see the mower. It is back at my friends as it was running pretty well with the spring holding the throttle back against the idle screw, which I adjusted to run around the right RPM. Temporary measure that he may be happy with but I will check for previous "adjustments". lol

Thanks for your help, very quick response to a very old thread...so thank you!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back